Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No system restore...Possible Symantec restoration...Pls help

by reader509 / July 16, 2010 1:25 AM PDT

Hello all. I own a Dell Dimension E510. The OP is Windows XP Media Ed. I've upgraded my memory to 2 GBs, but the thing is getting slow and i know i have viruses that freeware doesn't pick up. I'm too poor to buy a new pc right now, so I want to restore it. My question is this: I have recently added a new HDD as a slave. I have plenty of room on it to back up important data, et al. pictures, music, and certain programs I want to keep. When/if I use the Symantec feature, will I be able to bring back all the data from my slave drive once I complete the task and run the setup for the slave? The slave drive is a Western Digital 500 GBs SATA. My CD/DVD drives aren't working either, so I can't back up onto discs. Any help would be a lot of help!

Please help. TIA.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No system restore...Possible Symantec restoration...Pls help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No system restore...Possible Symantec restoration...Pls help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) What is "the Symantec feature"?
Collapse -
Symantec Restore=
by reader509 / July 16, 2010 4:05 AM PDT

from my owner's manual: "Dell PC Restore by Symantec restores your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased the computer. Dell PC Restore permanently deletes all data on the hard drive and removes any applications installed after you received the computer."

hope that helps.

Collapse -
That's clear to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Symantec Restore=

It looks to me that saving the apps is not possible with this feature.

What's your plan B?

Collapse -
That's clear, isn't it.
by Kees Bakker / July 16, 2010 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Symantec Restore=

So the things to do:
1. Copy everything you don't want to lose to that external disk. That includes the SETUP/INSTALL program of all applications you need to reinstall (don't forget the registration keys!). Also be sure you know all settings and passwords (like from your email-account and all those stored in cookies that you forgot about).
2. Copy it to another location. That's a second external disk, another PC, web storage, a burned DVD (use another PC for that). Having only one copy on one external disk and then deleting the original is just too risky!
3. Disconnect from Internet.
4. Bring the PC back to factory conditions using this feature.
5. Activate the firewall, if necessary.
6. Let Windows Update do its work.
7. Install all your programs from the backup you made in #1.
8. Restore all your settings.
9. Restore all your data.

Kees

Collapse -
Internal Slave, not External
by reader509 / July 16, 2010 12:57 PM PDT

I don't know if it makes any difference, but the new drive I mentioned is internal, though I am thinking about getting an external hard drive as well...Guess I had better do that first, eh? Ok...

Your response prompted another question concerning passwords. Is there a way to copy them from Firefox's saved passwords utility? I have tons! lol.

Collapse -
Just a note.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 6:18 AM PDT

Did you know that some Symantec Norton products disable System Restore for Norton's own version of that utility?

If your System Restore is not working, that is where I would first look.

Mark

Collapse -
Just another note.
by Kees Bakker / July 16, 2010 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a note.

I'm afraid your remark isn't applicable here.

The Symantec product discussed here is used by Dell to do the 'system recovery back to factory conditions'. I think it's based on good old Norton Ghost. They install everything they need (OS, drivers, utilities, trial versions, software you ordered) on the hard disk, and use this product to make a bootable image in another partition. And if you boot from that, it is programmed to restore itself back to the c:-drive.
That's totally unrelated to the usual System Restore blocking features of Norton Antivirus.

Kees

Collapse -
Yes I did wonder
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 9:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Just another note.

if this was a different product, but it was just the OP's subject title in the first post, "No system restore".

Mark

Collapse -
what i meant by "no system restore..."
by reader509 / July 16, 2010 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes I did wonder

I just meant that the windows "system restore" function isn't working on my pc, nor has it in a long time. i have no idea what happened to it, that's why i want to try the Symantec function. sorry for the confusion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.