Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

no system restore CD

by peenuts / March 2, 2006 11:59 PM PST

Hi everyone. Had some questions that I hope can be answered by you computer savvy folks Happy Just recently purchased a Dell XPS M140 laptop for my father. However, is it a relatively new thing for computers to not come with an operating CD anymore? this doesn't make sense to me! Now it's a system restore (by Symantec) option that comes with the laptop..and to be honest i don't get it. it restores everything up to a certain point, right? i primarily wanted the CD in order to get rid of all those third party programs (my dad needs the sheer minimum and everything else will just confuse him). do you guys/gals think the CD is better or the system restore option is better? i even called dell and they said i can't have a cd! (the nerve!)
now i'm looking to buy a dimension E310 (maybe) for myself and they let you have the re-installation CD for $10. what should I do? is the system restore basically the same thing and I shouldn't bother? any help would be great. thanks

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Cost savings passed to you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 12:18 AM PST
In reply to: no system restore CD

Some new machines allow you to make the restore CD when you get it. If you don't want to, then you order the CD.

Your choice. Some are wanting to save every dollar they can and this is the result. If you think this is wrong, then consider we are the culprits.

The 10 buck charge is a bargain. I'd take it.

Bob

Collapse -
reply cost savings passed to you
by peenuts / March 3, 2006 1:54 AM PST

Hi Bob. Thanks for responding. I saw your message right after I sent out the ''i can't see post''. However, I still can't see it if I just look it up, I copied the address when it appeared and I can only see if I type it in. Now with system restore that comes with the computer if I go and do it now when it's still new and there's nothing saved on it will it just reload all the ''junk'' that comes with it. is there an effective way to remove these things? i tried looking but cant find it...so if it's already been discussed in another post let me know. thanks

Collapse -
can't see post
by peenuts / March 3, 2006 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: no system restore CD

it says there are 2 posts and when i see my message it says 1 of 2 messages but i don't see the second post nor is there a "see next message" link like with the other messages that have been posted online. am i missing something?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!