TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

No surround terminals on SC-PT660 Home Theater

by bonafide14 / April 21, 2015 2:31 AM PDT

Hello All,

The SC-PT660 Home Theater comes with six speakers, but there are only four terminals at the back of the DVD player. I have no idea how to connect the two surround speakers.

I have owned and used this home theatre for several years, and I have no idea if this is how it has always been. About a year ago, it stopped playing DVD's, and I took it to a technician to have it repaired. When I got it back, I tried connecting the speakers and noticed the missing terminals and left the two surround speakers disconnected. I continued to use the home theatre and forgot all about the missing terminals.

I only happened to notice them again recently, and I pulled out the SC-PT660 manual, which shows six terminals in the drawings, but notes, "No surround terminals in model bundled with wireless option." I don't know if there was some wireless accessory packaged with my home theatre that I subsequently lost, but all the speakers have wires connected to them.

Obviously, the theatre is out of warranty. Panasonic referred me to their local support center, but the technician appeared to be stumped on the phone. I will have to pay if they send a technician to my home.

I don't know if the technician I took the DVD player to gave me back the right one. I doubt that he would entertain the idea more than a year later, but is there some way to check if I never wrote down any serials? I also don't know if these speakers were ever connected prior to the repair. I feel like the missing terminals would be a big thing for me to overlook when I first set it up, but it is not impossible.

Can anybody help me figure this out? I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Jess

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No surround terminals on SC-PT660 Home Theater
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No surround terminals on SC-PT660 Home Theater
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
CNET wrote about this model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2015 2:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
Will check out your link
by bonafide14 / April 21, 2015 2:49 AM PDT

Thank you, Bob. I don't remember seeing anything on the manual about pairing the speakers, but I will check it again. I will check out your link as well and report back. - Sisilla

Collapse -
It may or may not need pairing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2015 2:51 AM PDT

Some do, some don't. That's why I have to get out the manual.

Collapse -
Thanks for your help.
by bonafide14 / April 21, 2015 3:02 AM PDT

Ok. I understand now. Thank you for your help.

Collapse -
Do I need to purchase SH-FX67?
by bonafide14 / April 21, 2015 3:00 AM PDT

Hello Bob,

I checked out the link. Will I need to purchase the SH-FX67to convert the rear speakers of the PT660 to wireless?

If I prefer not to purchase an optional accessory, is there some way to connect the speakers using the cables attached to them?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Jess

Collapse -
Have to write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2015 3:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
No power cables on the speakers
by bonafide14 / April 21, 2015 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Have to write no.

Thanks, Bob.

There are no power cables on the speakers. The cables have the blue and gray connectors at the ends.

-Jess

Collapse -
Sorry I mixed up a model here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2015 3:20 AM PDT

I was reading another manual so I messed up. Back to the Panasonic manual and I see SIX speaker connections.

Collapse -
No problem. Thanks for your help!
by bonafide14 / April 21, 2015 3:25 AM PDT

My manual is different from the one you linked, but it also shows six connections. It does have an additional note, however, "No surround terminals in model bundled with wireless option."

Collapse -
How about a link?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2015 3:28 AM PDT

If yours came with the wireless option two speakers should be different from the rest.
Bob

Collapse -
No soft copy of the manual
by bonafide14 / April 21, 2015 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: How about a link?

I don't have a soft copy of the manual. Only the hard copy that came in the box. The two surround speakers look very similar to the other speakers, in terms of the cables and the connectors.

Collapse -
So it's not a model online?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2015 3:41 AM PDT

Sounds like something got lost or changed from when it came out of the box?

Collapse -
I didn't purchase it online.
by bonafide14 / April 21, 2015 3:51 AM PDT

I purchased from a store, but it looks exactly like in the video in your link --> http://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic-sc-pt660/

So, either I lost the bundled wireless accessory (less likely since the speakers appear to be wired), or I was given the wrong model when I picked it up from the technician (more likely since I should have noticed the missing terminals on first set-up).

Collapse -
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2015 3:55 AM PDT

Sounds like a mess. That is, missing a part or such. Thanks for sharing it was second hand. Such can be traumatic. Time to talk to the seller.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. When I wrote online.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2015 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch.

I was referring to online manuals. I supplied one up top.

Collapse -
I purchased the home theater brand new.
by bonafide14 / April 21, 2015 4:01 AM PDT

I don't remember any wireless accessory in the box. I checked out your online manual. It is different from my hard copy that came in the box.

Collapse -
Then something's off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2015 4:50 AM PDT

If a new product is incomplete out of the box I take it back for a new box or for the store support to make it right.

As to the manual I fetched, I used your model number to locate it on Panny's site. You can try that too so I can read the right manual.
Bob

Collapse -
I can't take it back to the store.
by bonafide14 / April 21, 2015 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Then something's off.

I bought this over six years ago.

Maybe it did come with the optional wireless accessory and only four speaker terminals. It is unlikely that they would sell me six speakers with only four terminals and no way to connect the other two speakers. I just feel like I would have noticed something like that on first setup, but I can be absent-minded at times.

Collapse -
What did you buy or paid for?
by Oldartq / April 21, 2015 6:40 AM PDT

If it's the 660, that't not the wireless model. Take a look at the back of the main unit, what model is it? If the surround speakers are wireless then maybe you got a good deal if we can figure out how to hook it up on the cheap, hehe.

Collapse -
Will check the back of the main unit
by bonafide14 / April 21, 2015 10:11 PM PDT

Thank you for responding!

I will look for the model number at the back of the unit this evening when I get home. As far as I know, I paid for the SC-PT660 (that is the model number on the manual), and the speakers look wired to me (but the manual says the surround speakers can be made wireless with the optional wireless accessory). The wireless accessory, SH-FX85, has been discontinued, and, unfortunately, it was not cheap. Sad

Collapse -
Back of unit says SA-PT760
by bonafide14 / April 30, 2015 2:30 AM PDT

Just thought I would let you guys know. Although my manual says SC-PT660, the back of the main unit says SA-PT760. I guess I got the wrong unit back from the repair shop. Sad

Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2015 2:33 AM PDT
http://tinyurl.com/as8yaug shows what you could end up with. I can't guess how to fix this other than to get them to swap out for a complete system.
Bob
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.