Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

no start-up programs; no internet

by wkilc / March 4, 2007 8:39 PM PST

Hello,

I was called in to look at a computer belonging to a priest in my parish. It's a newer HP Pavillion, Athlon 64 34000, 512MB PC3200, XP Home SP2.

He had been running Norton Internet Security and Antivirus 2007, all the automatic updates, I believe. The priest is kind of a computer novice and he is also deaf... so it was hard to know exactly what happened prior to the problem.

Anyway, when I started the computer... it loaded VERY slow (I assumed it was all the pre-loaded HP bloatware)... when Windows finally reached his desktop... only the "safely remove hardware" icon appeared in the sys tray. No antivirus, no wireless network icon from his wireless NIC. I tried to load NIS manuallly, it would not open. Tried to open Internet Explorer, the browser flashes for a second and then disappears. Tried to look at the Windows Firewall in the CP, cannot access it. Tried to run System Restore... it said system restore could not protect this computer.

Does this sound like the M.O. of a pest? I tried installing AVG antivirus from a CD and it seemingly installed fine, until the very last step when it told me that it couldn't launch the *.exe file. I tried loading Windows in a "Diagnostoc Start-up mode"... all the same symptoms persist. Odd?

It's relatively new, I think... I have already backed up his documents... so I'm thinking of trying a destructive recovery of the whole OS. Any suggestions before I do so?

Thanks in advance.

~Wayne

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no start-up programs; no internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no start-up programs; no internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Before you re-install
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 7:35 AM PST

Did you try "Last known good configuration" in the Safe Mode list of options? (You call it Diagnostic Start-up mode I think).

Also, can you check that System Restore message. You said you tried to run System Restore but it said system restore could not protect this computer. I don't know all the SR error messages, but that sounds unusual to me. SR takes the operating system back to a previous time. It's not a protection device like an anti-virus or anti-spyware.

If last known good configuration doesn't work and you have to carry out a complete re-install, does the owner have any important files/documents, etc that he needs to save? If so, consider using a Linux distro called Knoppix. You can burn it as an ISO to a CD and run it as an operating system from the CD. It loads up to a desktop and from there you can explore the computer's hard disk. That way, if the computer has a 2nd CD/RW drive you could possibly copy all his files off the hard drive. This site gives more detail;
http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
thank you...
by wkilc / March 5, 2007 11:59 AM PST
In reply to: Before you re-install

Oddly... I was able to browse the computer... I burned all his important data to disk first... then created the recovery DVDs. I t seems that whenever I tried to access a program that made some use of internet, that failed. When I tried the Windows "Search" tool, that failed as well.

He uses MSN for e-mail... I'm pretty sure that's webmail, like AOL... so I couldn't find any local mailbox files to save.

I've gone ahead and reformatted and reloaded... now I can start fresh and remove some of the pre-loaded HP bloatware.

Thanks.

Collapse -
I'm glad you were able to save those files.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 6:58 PM PST
In reply to: thank you...

I suspect you will be giving the owner a firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware protection?

Sounds like he could do with it, Happy

By the way, if his MSN email is webmail, then possibly his Inbox and other emails are stored on the web server.

Mark

Collapse -
yes...
by wkilc / March 6, 2007 7:54 PM PST

I installed antivirus, firewall and anti-spyware. It's running quite nicely now. Thanks.

I assume MSN is webmail.... when I Google "MSN email" I find all kinds of shareware apps that allow you to download MSN e-mails locally in e-mail clients like Outlook and OE, so I assume under normal circumstances alll his e-mails are stored on the server, like AOL.

Thanks again.

~Wayne

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.