PC Hardware forum

General discussion

No Sounds After Getting Desktop OEM ?Help?!

by jjong / October 25, 2004 9:47 PM PDT

No Sounds After Getting Desktop OEM ?Help?!

Hello, hoping someone could help me on this major sound ssue.

Running Windows XP on an old Compaq Presario 5000a. Using Soundblaster Audigy MP3+ for about a year and recently updated drivers. Sound was working before I called Compaq/HP on a memory issue. They had me run Spybot, Adaware, disk cleanup, and defrag. After working with them I?ve found there are no system sounds at all. No sounds from cds or dvds, although I get video. I have a cd drive (TDK Velocd) and dvd drive (Dynex) that don?t automatically recognize formats anymore. Connections were not changed from before their assistance. Their conclusion after I called back and told them of my new experience: Use Quick Restore cds, (which I am cautious of doing if there are other solutions that I might not have tried yet. Perhaps something with the BIOS settings). Not sure if I might need some Windows XP driver in addition to the updated Soundblaster ones I've installed.

What I did so far:
Checked all volume levels
Checked all connections
Checked for system sounds
Checked correct device selected for audio playback (Audigy)
Checked devices and Sound, Video and Game Controllers in Device Manager (states all is running well)
Uninstalled and restarted reinstalled all drivers
Unplugged interior/ exterior connections with soundcard and cd and dvd drives, reconnected, started up again.
System Restore to point before getting Compaq ?help?

None has worked so far.

Please help if you?ve got any ideas.

Thanks,
jjong

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Sounds After Getting Desktop OEM ?Help?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Sounds After Getting Desktop OEM ?Help?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: No Sounds After Getting Desktop OEM ?Help?!
by Kees Bakker / October 26, 2004 7:14 AM PDT

Spybot, Adaware, disk cleanup and defrag aren't supposed to have these consequences. And if they did, one assumes system restore would have helped.

So consider the possibility of a hardware error? I'm afraid it's difficult to check without replacing the sound card, and it doesn't really explain the other problems with cd and dvd ('not recognizing formats'), but it's a remote possibility.

If you're ready to use System Restore, see if installing XP over itself helps. Usually it doesn't but this might be an exception.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: No Sounds After Getting Desktop OEM ?Help?!
by jjong / November 12, 2004 6:19 PM PST

Hi Kees, my disks to reinstall are not with me! I reinstalled the players and the soundcard/software and got rid of the player errors, but still, no system sound. Question: even if I didn't have any speakers plugged in, shouldn't I at least hear the system startup beep?
Thanks,
Jason

Collapse -
Sometimes phrases such as "checked all"
by Ray Harinec / October 26, 2004 11:52 AM PDT

turn out to be flawed, something slipped through the crack. Any possibility that volume is correct but the function is muted??? Happens to a friend of mine frequently during video work, she has no idea why it gets muted.

First suggestion would be to go up in Safe Mode and get into device manager and check all items possibly for multiple entries. For any multiple entries, remove them ALL and reboot and let windows find the "new" hardware and then force it to allow you to install the drivers that you want. May be tough with Audigy. Seems that once the Creative install gets fouled up Windows insists that it knows better and forces its drivers in. This is not a major problem because you still get sound but maybe not all of the features.

As for the basic CD functions that only require the normal drivers that windows intalls, try removing the the drives in Device manager [in safe mode] and then reboot.

Collapse -
Re: Sometimes phrases such as "checked all"
by jjong / November 12, 2004 6:16 PM PST

Ray, thanks, I did that and nothing happened. Any other ideas? Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?