Windows 7 forum

Question

No sound through HDMI, already set to default

by peterreed1982 / June 6, 2014 9:05 PM PDT

I have a GTX570 which I use to connect my PC to my TV via HDMI. For two years or so everything has been fine until I recently returned from holiday and the picture still works but there is no sound. I have googled the problem and the usual answer is to set the TV as default in audio properties. I had already done this and it is set as default (shows full name of TV).

When I click test the green bar goes up and down to show sound is being played but it just doesn't come through the TV. Another solution I have found is putting a cable between the sound card and the graphics card through SPDIF but this doesn't seem to be required as it has always worked without this.

Please can you help I am pulling my hair out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No sound through HDMI, already set to default
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No sound through HDMI, already set to default
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I've had this happen to me.
by orlbuckeye / June 8, 2014 9:44 PM PDT

What happens is when you connect the HDMI to the TV a new item pops up under sounds configuration in control panel. Remember HDMI is used as it passes both Video and Audio signal to the TV. Previous to HDMI you needed multiple cables (one for sound and one for video). What I noticed under sounfds where it showed my soundcards whenever I was connected to the TV a Shortcut ATI would popup. My laptop uses an ATI graphics card but because HDMI uses both video and audio the description of the device was ATI. I have a realtek sound card and I noticed it was set as default when the HDMI cable was attached. I clicked on the ATI shortcut and I had sound through the TV. When the HDMI cable wasn't connected the ATI shortcut wasn't there.

So what you need to do is go to sounds in Control panel and look for the part where it shows your sound card before you plug the HDMI to the tv. Then after you find the card plug the HDMI cable in and a new shortcut should appear. That is the one you need to click. You don't need to change the default because you want your soundcard to be the default when not pluggedi into the TV.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?