Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No sound on Toshiba laptop after windows update

by Buzzed / August 12, 2005 6:32 PM PDT

After installing the latest windows updates, my toshiba satellite laptop has lost the ablity to play back sound on speakers or headphones.
Everything was working fine until the automated download of Microsoft's latest security "FIX".

I checked device manager and all audio devices - no hardware problems, have the lastest drivers, etc. In short, nothing on my system says that I should be having this problem.

I tried playing some music in windows media player, it was playing fine, I just couldn't hear it.

Anyone else have a problem with sound cards going bonkers after a windows update?

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling sound drivers for the sound card (realtek AC97)...any other suggestions or solutions for this problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

SYSTEM INFO:
Toshiba Satellite A80
Windows XP Home
Realtek AC 97
ATI Mobility Radeon x300

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No sound on Toshiba laptop after windows update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No sound on Toshiba laptop after windows update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Um...
by Dragonbssj / August 12, 2005 7:10 PM PDT

Guessing but is the Sound Muted? or Volume Low?
ASking that 1st.
and is the audio icon still on the bottom of the screen.
http://tinypic.com/aemszn.png like that.
If so....
Try going here if you didnt.
Control Panel>Sound,Speech, and Audio Devices
Then Click On "Sounds and Audio Devices"

You should see your Sound Card Name Like Mine does here.

http://tinypic.com/aemtqo.png

See where it says Aztech Audio Does your's say its there?

Then go to the TAB that says "Audio"
and you should see like this
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/6950/sounds6764ey.png

Click On the Space if there is nothing selected and see if your Driver/Sound Device is listed.

Let me know if that solved anything.

Collapse -
still no sound :(
by Buzzed / August 12, 2005 9:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Um...

Volume is not muted and set on high

Sound Card shows up on "Sounds and Audio Devices"

No problems on device manager either.

No errors reported when I tried to play an audio file, BUT STILL NO SOUND.

Damn Microsoft and their "security fix"!!

Collapse -
Have you tried a system restore
by glb613 / August 12, 2005 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: still no sound :(

to a time before the update?

Collapse -
Finally... Problem solved!
by Buzzed / August 13, 2005 9:32 AM PDT

Tried to do a system restore and got a message saying something like "unable to continue with system restore"??? Maybe cuz I already have that new security patch that I can't get rid off?

Finally solved the problem an hour ago. I had to uninstall the sound card, get rid of all sound card drivers, reboot and have windows detect the new hardware, and install the latest (3.75) drivers. WHEW!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?