HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No sound on DVD Movies with new player/writer

by pacifist / October 17, 2006 12:09 AM PDT

Recently purchased a benQ DW1655 DVD rw and I tried to play a DVD movie and have a good picture but no sound. Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong as my knowledge of music and movies is very limited.
I would have thought it would be like a DVD player and just insert it and away you go but I guess there is more involved.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No sound on DVD Movies with new player/writer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No sound on DVD Movies with new player/writer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What player?
by jackson dougless / October 17, 2006 12:12 AM PDT

What are you using to play this DVD? Since pretty much every DVD comes with digital audio in the AC3/A52 format, and there are no such codecs supplied with XP, you either need to install some or be sure to use a player that can decode these signals.

Collapse -
What DVD player software?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 12:12 AM PDT

Try VLCPLAYER as it will play the unencrypted (the non-copy-proteced) DVDs fine. Hint? google.com

Windows doesn't play DVDs natively so you need additional software to play DVDs.

Bob

Collapse -
Setting
by AlexIcarux / October 17, 2006 12:14 AM PDT

Regarding to your issue,its not your DVD player fault.Most probably is your media player setting.

Collapse -
Nero software came with the BenQ DW1655
by pacifist / October 17, 2006 12:26 AM PDT

And I didn't know about a codec. I would have tried Google but didn't know what to type in for a question because I had no idea what I was looking for.
Can I get a codec or what ever software through Google.
Also what setting should I adjust on my media player and now I have two, Windows and Nero.
Thanks for the response.

Collapse -
Nero doesn't play retail DVDs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 12:33 AM PDT

I think you just revealed the cause.

Bob

Collapse -
Is the codec thing what I need
by pacifist / October 17, 2006 1:01 AM PDT

Could you tell me if it is a software or hardware item and where do I could purchase one.
Thanks for the help I need it

Collapse -
Usually cheaper when bundled with the drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 1:13 AM PDT

DVD player software such as PowerDVD and others cost just as much as a drive today.

I think you've discovered what's missing.

Bob

Collapse -
VLC Player
by jackson dougless / October 17, 2006 3:10 AM PDT

While it's not 100% in DVD support, it's pretty darn close, and for the pricetag of free, who can really complain? The appeal to VLC Player is it's a one stop solution to practically all your video playing needs. DVDs, Divx/Xvid videos, and just about anything else you can name.

You can also use the combination of MediaPlayer Classic and a small program known as DVD43. MediaPlayer Classic has all the necessary codecs for playing DVDs built into it, and DVD43 handles DVD decryption. They're also both free, and if you ask me, MediaPlayer Classic is a better player than VLC Player. The main drawback is that you have to use at least two programs to make DVDs work., whereas VLC comes with everything you need.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.