HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

Question

No sound on 3 out of 4 HDMI ports on my Samsung 40" UHD TV

by lurpdog101 / August 22, 2014 3:58 AM PDT

Hi
I bought the UE40HU6900 2 weeks ago, connected up my cable TV, and bluray player.

All seemed to be working well. I updated to latest firmware (1008). Watched some TV (plugged into the correct HDMI 1) then watched a bluray. Turned it back to TV and there was no sound at all. Plugged TV to HDMI2 and worked again until I watched a bluray

Basically only port which works for TV is HDMI 3, there is picture but no sound when plugged into another other HDMI port. The bluray won't work at all (although is fine as tested on 2nd tv no issues), and xbox has no sound.

I am trying a fix I read on here about keeping it unplugged for a while. I had the board replaced this week, came home from work (I work away so my wife couldn't test) and have found exactly the same issue.

Could it be turning the UHD Color option on? I did this also, and turned it off (HDMI leads were not attached as specified) however can't see this breaking the ports.
If they do then shouldn't be a display option.

As it stands I am going to have to have the entire thing replaced. Cost me a fortune, and I'm not having it...even with replaced board having to be ordered within 24 hours of purchase.

Unless I am doing something wrong, please advise.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No sound on 3 out of 4 HDMI ports on my Samsung 40" UHD TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No sound on 3 out of 4 HDMI ports on my Samsung 40" UHD TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Are those HDMI (DVI) Ports?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2014 4:05 AM PDT

"Connecting - HDMI (DVI) Port
If the graphics adapter of your computer does not support HDMI interface, connect the computer to
the TV with the DVI (Digital Visual Interactive) to HDMI cable. However, DVI-to-HDMI connection is
supported by the HDMI port for DVI only and does not support audio signal transmission. To listen to
the computer sound, connect the external speaker to the computer's audio output connector."

I wonder if the seller and Samsung is not explaining this well enough. But if support is that bad today, I understand why folk return products.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks but not the issue
by lurpdog101 / August 22, 2014 5:45 AM PDT

Thanks

But that's not the issue. I didn't say anything about computer - plus the ports were working perfectly fine when it arrived, all ports.

I then downloaded and installed the update, and 3 of the 4 ports have failed. The board was replaced 2 days ago, but I've only just been able to do testing as I work away from home. The samsung engineer refused to test saying he didn't know what HDMI was what )seriously.....there are only 3 HDMI cables I have - TV, Bluray and Xbox and all easily checked)

3 out of 4 HDMI ports are not working. This includes the port 1 which is designated for the cable tv box. Picture is fine, sound isn't

Collapse -
OK, AFTER updates
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2014 6:23 AM PDT

I've learned to unplug all HDMI cables, then unplug the power and wait about 15 minutes, then apply power and try the HDMI port that didn't work.

Keep in mind I'm not diving into cockpit errors such as setting a port to use the external receiver and so on.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.