Windows 8 forum

General discussion

No Sound in W 8.1

by Bostonfan49 / January 19, 2015 2:33 AM PST

As far as I can tell, everything with my partitioned 8.1 is fine....when I realized tha I have no sound. I think, booting up or in shutdown should produce some kind of Chime/sound. I have none and the little bit of checking aroun seems like the sound settings are on...Then I did a Yahoo and YouTube video and no sound. Need help!
I found the "Microsoft Community Participation Center" and sent them a note. 24 hours later I have 8 views and no replies......I guess it can take awhile?
Thanks, Bill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Sound in W 8.1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Sound in W 8.1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's true for most PCs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2015 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: No Sound in W 8.1

Very very few PCs just work after installing Windows (any version.) After the OS we have to finish the install with drivers in a specific order as well as some machines require "helper apps" to enable WiFi, sound and more.

No one can answer what your PC needs. But its maker should.
Bob

Collapse -
Lack of Sound
by Bostonfan49 / January 19, 2015 4:18 AM PST

Went into Device manager and have no !? conflicts....What types of Helper Apps would you suggest? Thanks, Bill

Collapse -
I rarely find "conflicts" in device manager.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2015 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: Lack of Sound

That's something we saw over a decade ago. Since the make/model of this PC is unknown I can't be more specific except Windows is, well, just the OS. To get it all working we have to install drivers in the correct order and then some machines have non-optional apps to enable things.
Bob

Collapse -
What Bob says is true, but look in Device Manager
by wpgwpg / January 19, 2015 4:06 AM PST

If you look in Device Manager, you may find clues as to what drivers are missing, especially under Sound, video and game controllers.
If you see either ! or ? next to one of them, that means you need the driver for it. Then you can go to your manufacturer's web site and download the needed driver. Of course you should ask your manufacturer too because you could need BIOS updates too.
Good luck.

Collapse -
try thi
by vembutech / January 22, 2015 6:29 AM PST

Hi, try uninstall the audio drive and reinstall the audio drive.If you have your motherboard disk, put it into your machine then you can install the audio driver. Else you need to download it from online by searching with the name of your motherboard. To get the complete information about your processor use this command in run box "dxdiag".

Collapse -
Re: no sound
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 22, 2015 6:39 AM PST

Just my story, amd I surely don't want to say it applies to you.

On my Windows 7 PC with a MSI motherboard, I had sound after installing Windows (using the default Windows driver), and it disappeared after I installed the Realtek driver from the DVD that came with the motherboard. So first I uninstalled that again to get my sound back, and a few months later I downloaded a Realtek driver from download.com (or some site like that) that worked immediately.
Strange, isn't it?

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.