HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

Rant

No Sound in Laptop with Vista op system

by groovy3130 / June 3, 2011 7:18 AM PDT

My HP laptop lost the sound. When I noticed that my GOM player has no sound, I downloaded some free codecs but did not work. I decided to uninstall/reinstall GOM and codecs.
I did this several times and nothing seems to work. Then I noticed that there is no sound at all in my laptop not just GOM. I also have the Windows Media Player ... but all is quiet. I checked the Device Manager and sound card is working normally ... did not see any ? or ! anywhere. I am not a techie and don't know much about this current technology. That's why I am here to seek help. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Sound in Laptop with Vista op system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Sound in Laptop with Vista op system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Three questions.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 7:45 AM PDT

1. Do headphones work?
2. Does the sound happen to be muted? You can see in the volume icon, I think.
3. Do the usual Windows sounds work? Easy to check from Control Panel.

Kees

Collapse -
no sound
by groovy3130 / June 3, 2011 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Three questions.

Answer to all 3 is NO. Just now I played a cd using GOM with headphone and no headphone.
No sound. Volume not muted. No Windows sound.

I tried YouTube before I posted in forum. No sound. And before that there was no problem -
I watched videos, played mp3, mp4 files...

Collapse -
If nothing apparently wrong ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 4:53 PM PDT
In reply to: no sound

the next step might be system recovery back to factory settings using your restore media. If it's a software or setting issue, it will work then. If it doesn't work, you know it's a hardware issue.

Two things to do before:
- It might be worth a try to experiment with a Linux Live CD first. But it's not sure, that would have sound on this laptop, if you didn't try before. But if it does, it's rather sure that that system recovery would work.
- I just answered a post where someone couldn't boot his HP and ran the diagnostics, telling him he had hard drive troubles. Can you run diagnostics for the sound?

Kees

Collapse -
It worked!
by groovy3130 / June 5, 2011 11:56 AM PDT

Kees,

I did the audio diagnostics - and just by unchecking the UAC box and rebooted, I got a sound from Windows. So I tried the GOM player and that thing worked too! I did nothing else but uncheck UAC and reboot. Now, should I go back and check the UAC box as it was before?

Thanks.

groovy3130

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.