Question

No sound from subwoofer?

I got an Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 speaker system setup to a Sony STR-DH520 reciever. My sub-woofer is connected and receiving a signal just fine, even enters stand-by mode when there isn't a signal and turns on when an "LFE" signal is present, but no sound of any kind is produced at anytime. Not even a test-tone. I've turned the cross-over all the way up and set my speakers to "small", but still get nothing from the sub. I've reset my receiver to factory settings, in case it was some custom set-up that was causing the problem, but I still get nothing. My speaker specs as read from the manual are...

Subwoofer - Frequency response 25 Hz-150 Hz
Front & Center Speakers - Frequency response 55 Hz-50 kHz / Crossover Frequency 4.5 kHz
Surround Speakers - Frequency response 60 Hz-20 kHz / Crossover Frequency 10 kHz

Though my receiver has the the Crossover Frequency for all the speakers set at 120 Hz.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: No sound from subwoofer?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: No sound from subwoofer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you double check the sound fields?

If I'm not mistaken, at least some of the NEO6 (etc.) options won't provide anything via the subwoofer.

<scratching my head if that's not it, considering what else you've tried...>

You might also try asking @ avsforum.com.

- Collapse -
I"ve tried all sound fields

I"ve tried different sound fields and get nothing from them all. I've put posts up in avforum.com and others, but still haven't been able to get a resolution to my problem.

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: no sound from subwoofer

Does this speaker system function correctly with other receivers?
Does this receiver function correctly with other speaker systems?

I'm thinking a hardware issue if you did with settings do not have any useful result.

Kees

- Collapse -
Re:

I don't have any other equipment to test out to see if it's a hardware issue. And I really hope it isn't, since I just bought all this stuff no less than a month ago...

- Collapse -
Ugh

It's unfortunately never a good idea to wait too long to test out this type of equipment for defects. Ugh Sad.

- Collapse -
They do have in the shop ...

if you go back and claim it's DOA.

Kees

CNET Forums