Question

No sound from my computer

Hi,

I have a Compaq presario CQ50 laptop that I recently took in to have cleaned up (files cleaned up, defraged, anti virus check, etc.). When i got it back the sound did not work through the speakers but it does work through the headphone jack.

The owner said that they didn't do anything to the sound but I could check a couple of things. he confirmed:

"the software volume
controls are set correctly. The only thing I can think of is that there is a
hardware mute button on the laptop itself or some other kind of external volume
control (buttons or volume wheel) on the side or front of the laptop."

another friend said i could check the BIOS.

Can anyone help me solve this?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: No sound from my computer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: No sound from my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I wonder.

Look at the speakers selected in the control panel. Sorry but this area is NOT STANDARDIZED so you are left to go find it.
Bob

- Collapse -
Your response - no sound issue

thanks for your response. The control panel lists 3 items. The first is "Conexant High Definition Smart Audio 221". it has a green check mark next to it saying "working". Under that is another speaker option for an Epson projector UD Audio device not checked or any symbols. Below that, the last, is a "NVIDIA HDMI Output" showing a red down arrow saying "not plugged in".

Does this tell you anything?

- Collapse -
That's the audio device.
- Collapse -
Your response

nothing personal yet i'm suspicious of following your link. where are you trying to lead me?

- Collapse -
Hp.com

I've unsubscribed since we now know what to look for.

The lack of a proper document and lack of standards in this area does not help but at least you know what to look for. If you have a complaint, it is with the industry for not fixing this and with the consumers for accepting this mess.
Bob

CNET Forums