Computer Help forum

General discussion

No sound from dvd player,but cd's do,all other sounds work ?

by stinman / December 7, 2006 7:48 AM PST

My dell e310 xp media center edition is equipped with 2 drive trays.
Sony DVD-RomDDU1615,latest firmware,this is player and reader.The other is HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B firware d108.It will also play stuff to.I
have the Roxio burner.It all came with my pc.I have tried updating drivers,they say I have the latest.I'm not sure but it seems like it
might have stopped after last update.New updates for media center that has something to do with roll up 2.Or IE7 update did it.Not sure any
advice would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No sound from dvd player,but cd's do,all other sounds work ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No sound from dvd player,but cd's do,all other sounds work ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When I see this I...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2006 8:03 AM PST

Uninstall then reinstall the DVD player software.

Bob

Collapse -
OK,please bear with me for a min.here Bob
by stinman / December 7, 2006 8:31 AM PST
In reply to: When I see this I...

I have a couple of CD's that dell mailed me awhile back.One is sonic cine player.Does the media center have it's own player.It always seemed
like there is more than one because if I play it in media center it does not go to the cine player skin.If I play a dvd in windows media player
10 it just plays right there in the wmp skin.Do you mean re-install the
sony dvd-rom or the sonic cine player?also the cine player tries to download a update from install a shield and then says it's for cine player 3.0 not mine.But mine is 3.0 Anyway can you clarify for me.Maybe
I should be on newbes!!

Collapse -
What media center?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2006 9:40 AM PST

XP has a Media Player but it's not a full fledged DVD player and you can find hundreds of posts about that. To that question I start with the usual cure. Uninstall the (non-MS) DVD player and install it so the DVD decoders are put in proper.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) OK,thanks thats what I will do,post back if it works.
by stinman / December 7, 2006 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: What media center?
Collapse -
still no sound!!
by stinman / December 7, 2006 12:01 PM PST

I uninstalled the dell cine player.I then re-booted,then installed it again.The install a shield then came on-said to install a security&bug
fix.Which went through this time.Is there somewhere to download audio
codeds?Dell is no help.Do you think the foxy tunes player I added for firefox could be interfering with it?I get a picture out of either drive
just no sound.Plays CD's,videos on ff or ie,everything just not movies.

Collapse -
Try something I use for a test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2006 1:53 PM PST
In reply to: still no sound!!

VLCPLAYER.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Did you just update to Windows Media Player 11 ?
by linkit / December 7, 2006 12:32 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks to all,I found out the problem
by stinman / December 8, 2006 9:27 AM PST

I posted a new thread in case anyone else has same problem with the sonic cine player.Dell is supposed to come out with a patch from sonic
on dec. 6.A bit late,huh!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?