Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No Sound Events in Sounds and Audio Devices

Hi. I have Windows XP in my computer, and after upgrading my computer with a new motherboard and processor (AMD Athlon XP 2000+), I did an repair install, as my Windows XP won't boot sucessfully.

After the repair install, everything was fine, except there is no Sound Events in the Sounds and Audio Devices. In the Sounds tab there, I can see that the Sound Scheme is set to Windows Default Scheme, but the list box under Program Events is empty. Prior to this repair install, I will get sounds during startup, shut down and also errors, but now, I get nothing at all.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

Further info: Before the motherboard upgrade, I was using Creative Vibra128 sound card. Now I am using the built in sound card of the Asus motherboard (SoundMax). Is it wise to use the built in sound card instead of the Creative Vibra128 sound card, assuming that I don't mind wasting a PCI slot for it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Sound Events in Sounds and Audio Devices
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Sound Events in Sounds and Audio Devices
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't see that you installed drivers.

In reply to: No Sound Events in Sounds and Audio Devices

Microsoft has yet to offer an OS that installs latest BIOS, sets the BIOS, finds and installs the latest drivers for us.

I didn't read if you've finished the XP install.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes, drivers are installed.

In reply to: I don't see that you installed drivers.

Hi Bob,

Sorry I forgot to mention that I've installed the SoundMax drivers given on the Asus CD, and Windows Media Player plays my MP3s, CDs, VCDs fine. The only thing missing is the sound events.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
I may have missed it...

In reply to: Yes, drivers are installed.

Did you associate some sounds with an event?

Do they play when you are in the toolbox that does this association?

Remember that we only know what you reveal.

Bob

Collapse -
There's no sound events except...

In reply to: I may have missed it...

Hi Bob,

In the Sound and Audio Devices in Control Panel, in the Sounds tab, the sound scheme is set to Windows Default Scheme, and under the Program Events, there's currently only Windows Messenger (nothing else).

I don't see any ways to add sound events to the Program Events. Even if I can add sound events 1 by 1, I do hope I can get back the whole set of sound events that I normally get when I install a fresh copy of Windows XP. Of coz, I don't want to install a fresh copy of Windows XP Happy

What should I do? Once again, thanks a lot.

Collapse -
Add one and test.

In reply to: There's no sound events except...

In short, you need to see if it's just some sound scheme you need to work out or that some hardware error is at play.

What's wrong with making your own scheme?

You didn't answer if the sound plays in the control panel tool.

Bob

Collapse -
Can't...

In reply to: Add one and test.

Hi Bob,

In the Sounds tab, there's nothing I can do. The only sound scheme available is Windows Default Scheme, and in the Program Events, there is only Windows Messenger. The only thing enabled is "Save As" below the Sound Schemes, everything else is grayed, including the "Delete" button under Sound schemes. That means I can't do anything at all.

What should I do? Thanks!

Collapse -
Try IEFIX...then...

In reply to: Can't...

IEFIX is a nice automated tool to run SFC and more. I will not tell you how easy it is to find with Google or how to use it.

Its clear to me that the motherboard change is bothering Windows. Sadly, Microsoft doesn't offer any support for this move and you should get ready for a clean install if no fix is found.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: There's no sound events except...

In reply to: There's no sound events except...

This "Windows XP Sound" procedure tells you how to choose a sound scheme through the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties in Control Panel. Are you saying the "Sounds" (click to see a screen shot) tab and that the selections isn't there?

Collapse -
Anyway to remove Sounds and reinstall?

In reply to: No Sound Events in Sounds and Audio Devices

Hi Bob,

I've tried IEFix but it didn't help the problem.

Of course, doing a clean reinstall will solve this, but I still prefer not doing so, as it is not really a big problem.

I'm still wondering, is there such a way to remove everything related to sounds, then reinstall it back, and hoping that it will be recovered? Is there a technique which is analogous to the technique of taking out a particular card, then plugging it back; or removing a piece of software, then reinstall to fix it? I've tried removing the SoundMAX driver then reinstall, but this doesn't solve the problem.

Any more ideas?? Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
Re: Anyway to remove Sounds and reinstall?

In reply to: Anyway to remove Sounds and reinstall?

It sounds like you don't have any program events listed to assign sounds. Picking a theme isn't going to fix that. I check in the control panel and there isn't anything in the add/remove programs listed for sounds. So, to get you event sounds back will probably take a repair or reinstall.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.