Computer Help forum

Question

No sound after format

by dafnimarge / November 5, 2014 3:07 AM PST

So I formatted my pc and the sound doesn't work even though I've installed the drivers. The weird part is that when you go on manage audio device there is no speakers icon just a Digital Audio Icon . Whatever I plug in (speakers or earphones) in the audio socket it doesn't work but if I plugin usb earphones it works perfectly. Can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No sound after format
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No sound after format
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2014 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: No sound after format
Collapse -
re
by dafnimarge / November 5, 2014 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: Not yet.

ok but my pc is customed build and I contacted the shop for technical support and they couldn't help me on the phone. So how do I figure out the correct driver install order?

Collapse -
You could tell more about your PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2014 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: re

And the OS. In the future, why not backup an image of the working system? Cheaper and less hair loss.
Bob

Collapse -
re
by dafnimarge / November 5, 2014 5:14 AM PST

Don't you think I thought of that after this mess? But now it's done...
Cpu intel core i7 930(1366/2, 80GHz)
asus p6t se (1366,x58,ddr3)
vga pci-x gigabyte gv-n250-5121 hdmi
hdd ed sata ii 500gb 32mb
wireless pci adapt netgear rangemax next
ram ddr3 g.skill 6gb kit 10666cl7t-6gbpk
windows 7 ultimate 64-bit english dsp

Collapse -
OK, the motherboard has a set of drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2014 5:34 AM PST

After the OS is installed you head to Asus.com for the motherboard chipset and then sound drivers. There are also "helper apps" such a Intel's RST that I find necessary.

So, in short:

1. WIndows 7 OS.
2. Asus drivers for motherboard.
3. Asus sound drivers.
4. Intel RST from Asus or from Intel.
Bob

Collapse -
So I shoulf format it again?
by dafnimarge / November 5, 2014 5:40 AM PST

but the graphic drivers and wirelless?
Should it be:
1.windows 7 os
2.wireless adapter
3.graphics
4.asus drivers for motherboard
5.asus sound drivers
6.Intel Rst form asus or intel?

Collapse -
Re: sequence
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 5, 2014 5:42 AM PST

That's surely wrong. The first thing after the OS are the motherboard drivers. Then I'd do graphics and wireless (if they don't come with the motherboard drivers, depends on the hardware), then finally the sound.

Kees

Collapse -
re sequence
by dafnimarge / November 5, 2014 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: Re: sequence

ok I'll try that if nothing else works. thanks !

Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2014 6:03 AM PST

If the motherboard drivers are not installed then how will the OS find what's in the slots and more?

Collapse -
Answer
What sound card is installed?
by glb613 / November 5, 2014 4:39 AM PST

What shows in the device manager?

Collapse -
re
by dafnimarge / November 5, 2014 5:20 AM PST

Well I just noticed the Realtek Audio driver it's neither in the device manager nor in the drivers that are not installed correctly. I tried downloading and installing it again and nothing ??!! this is the print screen http://s15.postimg.org/pftjwvplj/download.jpg

Collapse -
Re: sound
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 5, 2014 5:38 AM PST

I see 5 times "HD Audio Device". That should give sound, I'd say. Here I've got only one (a Realtek indeed, before I installed that there was a sound driver installed by Windows 7). But I have sound, and you don't. It ain't fair.

Still. no doubt, it's a driver issue. I had to download my Realtek driver from http://www.filehippo.com/download_realtek_high_definition_audio_vista_64 (yep, it's for 64 bit Windows 7), because the one from MSI didn't work for some reason. Strange. I've got it safely on my backup, just in case.

If everything fails, a USB audio stick (to connect your speakers and mic to) is a few dollar and comes with its own drivers.

Kees

Collapse -
isb audio stick
by dafnimarge / November 5, 2014 6:40 PM PST
In reply to: Re: sound

I think that's the best solution if the problem doesn't solve.

Collapse -
Answer
after a format
by renegade600 / November 5, 2014 5:19 AM PST

What is the full computer model? when you reformatted and reinstalled did you use the recovery disks or partition or did you use a retail os disk? Why did you format the drive? was there already a problem or did you do an upgrade?

all drivers for your computer (if oem) should come from the computer manufacturer. One of the first things you should do after a reformat is to go to the manufacturers website and make sure all drivers are updated. If that has not been done, please do.

Collapse -
re
by dafnimarge / November 5, 2014 5:24 AM PST
In reply to: after a format

Its a custom made pc.I formatted because it's old and I had never formatted it so I thought it was time . It didn't have any problem with the sound before the format, and the truth is that the motherboard drivers cd was missing but I had the name and downloaded them manually. the specs I have are:
Cpu intel core i7 930(1366/2, 80GHz)
asus p6t se (1366,x58,ddr3)
vga pci-x gigabyte gv-n250-5121 hdmi
hdd ed sata ii 500gb 32mb
wireless pci adapt netgear rangemax next
ram ddr3 g.skill 6gb kit 10666cl7t-6gbpk
windows 7 ultimate 64-bit english dsp

Collapse -
Did you see...
by Oldartq / November 5, 2014 9:22 AM PST

if there is an audio card, if not then it an audio chip on the motherboard, then you need to know the motherboard being use. That shop did give you anything? Sounds like you should use some other shop next time.

As for usb sound, what's your objection to that? Also..an audio card usually not very expensive either.

Collapse -
yep
by dafnimarge / November 5, 2014 6:42 PM PST
In reply to: Did you see...

There is an audio card, the sound worked before the format but it seems that the problem is that the drivers just don't install at all. But I think I'm going to go with the usb solution like you and Kees_B said.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!