Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No Sound

by PghPittViper / April 17, 2004 4:59 AM PDT

I had to reinstall windows, but it did not pick up my sound card, a sb live. I have tried everything. I don't even have the little speaker in the system tray.

I have tried to add it manually, and then it looks like everything is ok, but, still no sound, and no speaker in tray. I remove it with device manager, but windows does not recognize anything when I reboot.

How do I get sound again?

TIA,

PittViper

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No Sound from Microsoft only install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2004 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: No Sound

No big surprise here. Microsoft issued Windows 98 in 1998, some 6 years ago with only a small set of natively supported hardware.

The person who installs Microsoft OS's soon learns the they get to find drivers for the rest of the machine and peripherals. A short list to collect are motherboard, sound card, video card, printer, USB drivers and what else you have.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:No Sound from Microsoft only install.
by PghPittViper / April 17, 2004 3:12 PM PDT

But before I reinstalled windows 98, my soundblaster live! worked fine. Now, I even used the sb instalation disk to install the drivers for the board. Device manager says the device is working properly?????????? Yet, no sound

Don't you always have the speaker icon in the tray? I know just one little thing is missing, but don't know what it is.

TIA,

PittViper

Collapse -
No Sound from Microsoft only install. You get to install the drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2004 3:31 PM PDT

You may be learning this the hard way.

I can only drop hints, but let me be more blunt.

-> Install the motherboard drivers, retest and then the sound card drivers.

Microsoft doesn't do this for you.

Bob

Collapse -
Speaker icon.
by Kees Bakker / April 17, 2004 10:47 PM PDT
Collapse -
Turn up the Volume? Mute box unchecked?
by Gakada / April 17, 2004 4:31 PM PDT

on volume setting, advance, uncheck any mute box...

Well this is just a thought.. good luck...

Collapse -
Re:No Sound PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
by PghPittViper / April 25, 2004 5:25 AM PDT

Hi,

I still cannot get this to work. Let me tell you exactly what I have done so far.

I started from scratch. I found my Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 manual and installation disk. I turned off the pc, removed the card and put it in another slot. Here we go.

The manual says, when the "new hardware detected" thing comes up, to hit cancel, and follow the directions in the manual. An installation program comes up that gives you the choice of installing all apps, or just the drivers. I just want the drivers for now.

But, I go thru the process, and it doesn't work!! Windows eventually comes back with the "found new hardware" but, it is finding an "unknown pci device", instead of a sound card! Even when I manually go thru and try and install with add new hardware, I CANNOT get it to work. Remember, it used to work on this machine until I reformatted hd and reinstalled windows.

Please, somebody help. Without sound, haveing this pc is useless.

TIA,

PghPittViper

Collapse -
Re:Re:No Sound PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
by Kees Bakker / April 25, 2004 5:51 AM PDT

This is strange indeed. Installing the drivers for a device that once worked should be the solution. I think everybody agrees with that.

What you don't tell is how the sound card was installed the first time. Did they do in the shop, or did you do it yourself? If the shop, they might be able to repeat the trick. If yourself, the question is what changed between then and now.

One stupid question to start with: you're sure, of course, that manual and disk belong to this card, and not some old one.

Although you wouldn't expect from Creative that their procedure isn't working, I should try a standard install in the New Hardware wizard. If there is a folder on the installation disk recognizable as containing the Windows 98 drivers (hopefully it's called drivers\win98) then don't hit cancel, but just browse to that folder (after choosing 'diskette ...').

To start the new hardware wizard again, delete the 'unknown' device in device manager, and reboot. Nothing lost if it doesn't work.

And are you sure the on-board sound (if present) is disabled in Device Manager?

It wouldn't be a bad idea also to go to the creative website, and download the latest Windows 98 driver for this particular card.

If everything fails, and you really want sound, I'm afraid there's no other choice than trying another sound card. It's more than a nuisance, but it might be a viable solution.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
The other drivers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2004 6:49 AM PDT

Before some sound cards will work, one has to install the motherboard drivers on some boards. It's not automatic and I'd note if this was required, but in re-reading what posts I did of yours, I didn't find one with the make/model motherboard.

In closing, cards can fail...

Bob

Collapse -
''DM entries''
by Cursorcowboy / April 25, 2004 9:23 PM PDT

1. The article [Q311261] discusses a procedure for removing duplicate CD-ROM devices listed in Windows Device Manager -- but could apply to any other device -- by restarting the computer in Safe Mode. Please be advised that anytime there appears to be a problem with devices, boot the system in Safe Mode, progress to Device Manager, check every item listed for duplicates (more than one item of the exact same device) and remove both the "main" and "duplicate" (that's two or more). Upon completion, reboot the computer and note that Windows will restructure itself and the appropriate device(s) it finds during reboot.

2. Remember, an item removed from DM only removes the entry from the system registry (where the records of every item in DM is kept -- files or drivers are not actually deleted). Device and driver identification reflected in DM is received from the system registry and is simply displayed for the user's convenience. Normally, if Windows does not find a resident device installed (present and identified by the CMOS) at the time of boot or reboot, the information read from the registry is simply ignored and nothing is displayed.

Warning: Even though the above information may appear rational, if device information for a peripheral is still recorded as installed in another Windows section (such as a modem) and using resources, that section along with DM queries during boot will ensure an entry is re-recorded even though the device may not physically exist. Always ensure devices are removed from every applicable section throughout all Control Panel applets as well as DM to preclude this anomaly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?