HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

no sound

by luckylady_63 / March 24, 2004 10:08 AM PST

I have an AMD DURON tm 1.10 ghz, 224 mb of ram, Windows XP Professional version 2002, Service Pack 1.
This is a desktop computer. I don't see any wire coming out of the monitor, so are the speakers in the CPU? The sound card is VIA audio driver. What is the proper way to splice wires back together? My husband used some kind of connectors, but the wires came apart. Should they just be twisted and taped or soldered? I really appreciate the help. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:no sound
by snapshot / March 24, 2004 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: no sound

Are you SURE that you have built-in speakers? Most desktop computers (99%) do not have built-in speakers.

The wires can be just twisted together and taped for testing. Be sure that the same colors of wire are twisted together. Test and see if you get sound. If it works, then you should untape the wires, solder and retape.

If it does not work:
It is still possible that the speaker's amplifier was blown when the wire was originally cut.

I assume that your speakers have an amplifier which is powered by something that is plugged into the wall.

You can test powered speakers by plugging them into the earphone connector of a portable CD player or radio.
You should hear music/sound from the speakers.

No music/sound:
Time to buy new speakers.

Collapse -
Re:Re:no sound
by luckylady_63 / March 25, 2004 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: Re:no sound

Thank you so much for all your help. I will not bother you again as you have answered my questions very thoroughly. Last night, none of the speakers were plugged into the computer and I could still hear sounds when I played Solitaire. Doesn't this mean that the cpu has speakers? Where is the sound coming from then? We spliced the wires together, but still no sound. I will plus them into something and hear if there is sound. If not, like you say, new speakers. Thanks again for all your help.

Collapse -
Re:Re: No Speakers in the CPU
by Stan Chambers / March 25, 2004 5:16 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:no sound

Most desktop computer have a very small internal speaker, which allows you to hear certain sounds from you mainboard, beeps, etc. This is likely the source of the sound you are hearing.
For external speakers, be sure the wires are connected properly and that they are plugged into a power supply, {surge protector} and finally make sure that they are plugged into your sound card on the back of your computer (usually the green port).

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re: No Speakers in the CPU
by luckylady_63 / March 25, 2004 8:48 AM PST

Thank you Ernie. I appreciate your input. How do I test this speaker? Should I plug in the power source and then plug the other part into say a DVD player with a place for headphones? Loretta

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re: No Speakers in the CPU
by Stan Chambers / March 25, 2004 2:23 PM PST

Should I plug in the power source and then plug the other part into say a DVD player with a place for headphones?

Plug the power plug into an outlet in you surge protector, then plug the small jack into the back of your computer. There are typically 3 ports on the sound card located at the back of the computer. They are usually color coded red, blue, and green. Plug the (small round) jack into the green port. Play a music cd in the cd drive or a wave or mp3 file on the computer to check the sound. If the ports aren't color coded, try all 3 of them.

Collapse -
by luckylady_63 / March 25, 2004 8:51 AM PST

The speaker wires look like brass wire. Do I just wrap one end to the other end for each side? There are two wires in each piece (where the wire got cut). I then would wrap them in electrical tape right? Should they be soldered together? I just don't know how to do this properly. If I take the speaker to say Future Shop, would they fix it for me? Thanks again

Collapse -
by luckylady_63 / March 25, 2004 10:26 AM PST

The speaker wires look like brass wire. Do I just wrap one end to the other end for each side? There are two wires in each piece (where the wire got cut). I then would wrap them in electrical tape right? Should they be soldered together? I just don't know how to do this properly. If I take the speaker to say Future Shop, would they fix it for me? Thanks again

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re: No Speakers in the CPU
by jconner / March 25, 2004 12:05 PM PST

Like with like. There will be two types. Twist them together. Wrap the twisted ends (exposed wires) in electrical tape. Once it works, you can a) leave it alone as long as you are not constantly moving them or b)Try to solder them with solder wire and a solder gun (if you have one, if not, new speakers are cheaper). Then re-wrap the soldered ends with tape again. You could go try and get a friend/neighbor to do this if you are unsure. Having it done by a shop is probably more expensive than a new set of speakers.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re: No Speakers in the CPU
by luckylady_63 / March 25, 2004 11:15 PM PST

I did all of the above and find out that it is the left speaker that doesn't work. The right speaker has sound and it is joined to the left speaker with a wire, but there is no sound, just a hum coming from the left speaker. I may as well go out and buy new speakers unfortunately. Thanks for all your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.