Computer Help forum

General discussion

no sound

by Atomicsoda / November 2, 2003 1:44 AM PST

i restarted my computer today and when i turned it on an 'installing new hardware' window opened and I had to reinstall my sound card driver as if i had never done so before. it said that it installed correctly and etc, but now i dont get any sound. my speakers are all plugged in correctly and are operating find, and no channels are muted. music and video files will open and run properly, just without sound. i am running on windows98se. thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:no sound
by Ross / November 2, 2003 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: no sound

Hi well there is one thing to try which might help. Reboot in safe mode, you can do this by tapping the F8 key after rebooting. Start tapping when the screen goes blank. Choose #3 safe mode, and when in safe mode open the device manager. Look for any duplicates under ALL listing except for systems devices. If any duplicates are found remove ALL instances of said devices, when done restart the puter and windows should install said devices. Make sure to do this in safe mode as normal will not show duplicates. Let us know if this helps.

Collapse -
I have no sound...I also have a cordless mouse ...
by reec / August 6, 2005 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:no sound

The system I have is a Dell Dimension 8300 Series...2.80GHz w/800MHz front side bus/HT Technology. I'm running Windows XP Home Ed. There could be a thousand reasons why... but here are a few...Dell Media Experience (came installed) does not know it is in an XP OS! A grotesque huge distorted screen comes on and says Dell Imaging can only be run in Windows XP! It came with Trial RealOne Player...6 months America online Internet access Included...this I deleted right away as I had hi-speed internet Access...didn't think about it again until started having problems with sound...found disabled WAN adapter...computer can't fix it...properties...America online...? Had windows Media Player 7.1...upgraded eventually to series 9...worked okay but was restrictive on choices...got an offer for a free player by Comcast so I got it...Rhapsody...."Error initializing a required Rhapsody component. Please reinstall Rhapsody.' Well, so the story goes on and on until I find even with tech suport from RealNetworks copies and copies of Rhapsody everywhere...I think I have gotten rid of them all and I find another one...so finally they said to install Windows Media Player 10...no sound...you can hear some... when you first boot...but as it goes on it gets lower and lower...this seems over my head to fix...there are other problems as well...(ever hear of YaHoo Music Engine...Beta...?) that I'm sure your dying to here about...but...I am now open to suggestions... if anyone can remember the question...anyone willing to answer the verbally diarrhetic old gezzer? FYI(...a cordless mouse does not work in safe mode, don't really know how to get around in there without it(keyboarding)...).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.