Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

no sound

good day all ,here's my problem i am ttrying to play a cd and i got message, no sound device present .everything was working fine ,please help. I have

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried system restore?

In reply to: no sound

Send it back to an earlier time when the sound worked. If that doesn't work, check the device manager and see if there is a problem with your sound card. Go the the control panel then system. Click on hardware then device manager. Scroll down the list to sound, video and game controllers. Look and see if the is a yellow question mark located next to your sound card. Write down the name and model number(if listed)in case you need to find new drivers. I'd suggest you uninstall the sound card, reboot the computer and let Windows reinstall it. If that doesn't work, try downloading new drivers from the sound card manufacturer or the maker of your computer.

Collapse -
no sound reply

In reply to: Have you tried system restore?

I have tried all of the above and all i get is a message saying no sound device installed

Collapse -
No sounds....

In reply to: no sound reply

... from CD only ? Do you have other sounds, e.g. Windows system Sounds (e.g. at boot up and shut down)? Do you have any CD players installed, e.g. Windows Media Player, Real Player, Win Amp or Zing player ?

What computer model- Mother Board- sound card ? Have you select the correct device to use at "Sound and Audio Devices" at control Panel ?

At Device Manager, are there items marked with a "!" or a "?" ?

Collapse -
2 Thoughts

In reply to: No sounds....

Is the drive recognised in 'my computer'? Try to get into the BIOS on power on, and see if it is registered there. Finally, try connections and cleaning the drive.

Collapse -
No Sounds

In reply to: No sounds....

Hi i have no sounds comin frm my computer was working fine then i had a burner put in and since i got it bk i noticed there was no sounds comin frm it at all HELP :):) Pls...

Collapse -
No sound

In reply to: No Sounds

HappyHappy ?? Are you joking ? Take it back to where you had the burner put in.
Collapse -
Diagnosing Problems with Troubleshooters

Windows includes many Troubleshooters,step-by-step diagnostics that look for some of the most common problems and suggest solutions.The Troubleshooters start at a basic level and walk you throughnthe details of system configuration changes.All of the Troubleshooters are part of the Help and Support Center.Follow these steps to run a troubleshooter:1.Choose Start/Help and Support to display the Help and Support Center window(Click the Home Icon on the toolbar if this window is already open.)2.Click the Fizing a Problem Topic and select the topic that most closely matches the problems you're experiencing.3.Follow its advice.Windows asks whether its suggestion solved the problem.4.Click Yes or No and click next to try the rest of the Troubleshooter's suggestions.

Collapse -
Is that True?

The question asked,in subject title, is because the request that you have provided does not provide our forum with indeed the information that would be required to really know the question you are asking.The phrasing does not say if indeed you have sound or not and it would help further to know what was this new component that you added was.A couple of responces indicate to me that we have very reliable intelligence that can effectively provide for you some needed information.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.