Computer Help forum

no signs of power, idk what to do

by mycomputerwontwork / November 27, 2014 3:27 PM PST

*Please note this is my first build of which i built in late 2013 so I'm pretty new to this and until now it has been smooth sailing

My system has seemed to cease working ever since I cleaned it with a vacuum so I opened it up and tried to find out what was wrong. And i mean cease working as in no signs of power and keep in mind my motherboard had no LED on it to show it is recieving power. This was about 2-3 weeks ago and somehow I got to the conclusion that I should just RMA my motherboard and PSU. I was still under warranty and I thought it would probably do the trick. So weeks went by and I finally get my motherboard and PSU back. Gigabyte did not replace my motherboard but they did say it worked with multiple configurations. Corsair sent back a brand new PSU however. So I hooked everything up and guess what! It still shows no signs of power from simply pressing the power button on my case.

So now I decided to breadboard. Right now I only have my motherboard, CPU, and CPU fan hooked up. I have the 8pin and 24pin plugged into my motherboard and the switch on the back of the PSU is On. With some searching around the internet I found that if I put a paperclip on the metal pieces (corresponding to the same location on the 24pin on the underside of the motherboard) I can momentarily short the connection between the
Green and Black wire and make the fans do what appears to be a single rotation and then it goes back to showing no signs of power. I have also plugged in the Power Switch cable coming from my case to the motherboard so I can short those pins easier - now when I do this I touch the two metal pieces from the 24 pin with paper clip to start the fans and then I click the power button which makes the machine appear to start but the moment i take away the power clip from the green and black metal pieces it stops.

I am at wits end and all I know left to do is RMA my CPU and RAM.

Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX 8320
CPU FAN: AMD Stock Fan (came with fx8320)
PSU: Corsair CX500M (500 watt)
RAM: 2x Mushkin Blackline 8GB
GPU: Gigabyte GEFORCE GTX 760
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
Disk Drive: Asus DVD/CD

I typed this on an Android Tablet so sorry for any mistakes or something I didn't go into detail enough. Just ask and I'll provide whatever information needed... Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no signs of power, idk what to do
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no signs of power, idk what to do
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
The green wire test is telling.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2014 12:31 AM PST

OK, most PSUs I've encountering will power up and the PSU fan will run with the green wire test. If your PSU didn't it may need a load or is dead. At the shop we keep a dead HDD handy for this load test. So with the PSU and a small load (our shop hound dead HDD) we do the green wire test. We'll also have the DVM handy to see if the other rails are close to spec.

Try that.

Collapse -
did it and worked with small load
by mycomputerwontwork / November 28, 2014 4:17 AM PST

I hooked up my dvd/cd disk drive to my PSU and did the green wire test, PSU fan stayed on and my disk drive had power and could open and close.

What does this tell me?

Collapse -
It tells me that a PSU voltage rail may be dead/off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2014 12:26 AM PST

Get out the DVM and measure each rail. Or the drive has a fault. We can test the drive on another PC. Only need the power connection for that.

Collapse -
PSU tester
by mycomputerwontwork / November 29, 2014 4:41 AM PST

I have a PSU tester that I plug in the 24pin and 8pin into. Everything reads normal on that... I assume that accomplishes the same task as the DVM but let me know if it doesn't and I'll get out the DVM

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?