Computer Help forum

General discussion

No signal to monitor

by druid2112 / January 1, 2010 6:50 AM PST

I got a userd computer for my kids. Turned it on and the display was 640x480 - not even sure I have a vid card. I messed with the settings and got it to 1024 (it was much more difficult than it should have been) but it was only 16 bit color.

Messed it with more, rebooted, now there is NOTHING on the screen. No cursor, nothing.

What can I do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No signal to monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No signal to monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Safe mode . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 1, 2010 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: No signal to monitor

and put it back the way it was.

You have "on the motherboard" video, not a specific card. If you had NO video . . .

Now.

Investigate the on board video in Device Manager. Look for updates. If there are none then a separate video card is needed.

Collapse -
Say what?
by druid2112 / January 1, 2010 11:51 AM PST
In reply to: Safe mode . . .

Did you mean to say start it up in safe mode? How do I do that when I can't see any keystrokes or anything?

Collapse -
So you get absolutely nothing?
by Coryphaeus / January 1, 2010 6:50 PM PST
In reply to: Say what?

Even when it first powers up you do not get the BIOS splash screen?

Collapse -
Almost nothing
by druid2112 / January 2, 2010 12:12 AM PST

It shows the Windows XP logo and the little left-to-right "thinking" thingy for about 5 secs, then that disappears and there is nothing. Totally black. That's why I'm so screwed. I can't ctl-alt-del, I can't bring up a cmd line, no cursor, nothing. hard to accomplish much in the dark.

Collapse -
That's enough to show it's a ...
by Kees Bakker / January 2, 2010 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: Almost nothing
Collapse -
Back to 640. How?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2010 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: No signal to monitor

In XP we boot to SAFE MODE and then set the video mode to 640x480 or try 800x600. When it boots normally we should see video again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.