Mac OS forum

Question

No Scrolling With Magic Mouse??

by Bob Dahl / October 23, 2011 2:51 PM PDT

I have a Magic Mouse on my iMac. Today, I noticed the scrolling/ swiping quit working. Fresh batteries didn't help. A REstart did. Any ideas what might be happening?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Scrolling With Magic Mouse??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Scrolling With Magic Mouse??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It probably got a little confused about something
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 23, 2011 9:57 PM PDT

and the restart loaded everything fresh again.

Collapse -
Restart To Reset Magic Mouse
by Bob Dahl / October 24, 2011 5:15 AM PDT

Yes, it does work.
BUT...
Why? It's done this at least once before.

I also realized the new batteries I had tried didn't do anything UNTIL that Restart. The old battery charge level was stuck at 73% until a restart. Don't really know if it was just the batteries dead. (I have seen it go down to 10% or less, even 0% [?] before.)

Collapse -
Answer
My guess
by Jimmy Greystone / October 23, 2011 11:35 PM PDT

My guess would be there was some kind of glitch with the BT interface, and you probably could have just disconnected the mouse and then reconnected it to clear it out, but a reboot did much the same thing.

I'd venture to say it was a one off event, though if you notice it happening more and more frequently, then call Apple. There were some BT related issues with the first couple batches of magic mice, and given Apple's usual lack of info even to support partners like AASPs (they still refuse to officially admit there's an issue with the MLB on the 2010 MBAirs that causes them to stop booting, even though I've been told unofficially that's the case), I can't say for certain it doesn't persist to this day. If it keeps acting up, call Apple, get them to send you a replacement. If it was a one off thing, don't worry about it. your cell phone or keyboard were probably trying to communicate with the BT chip in your iMac at just the right time to cause problems with your mouse. A winning the lottery level rarity event. It might happen once every 5-6 blue moons, so it's just a minor annoyance.

Collapse -
Magic Mouse/ BT Reset??
by Bob Dahl / October 24, 2011 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: My guess

How can you disconnect the mouse.
I had turned it off and on many times, and tried different cells. Nothing seemed to do anything else, Restart or nothing.

Collapse -
you might like to trash
by macnerd10 / October 24, 2011 9:23 AM PDT

Bluetooth preferences (users/yourname/Library/preferences/com.apple.bluetoothfileexchange.plist). Then log out-log in, open bluetooth from System preferences and set your mouse again. I would also repair computer permissions, just in case.

Collapse -
My magic mouse won't scroll...
by jsbarton / December 15, 2011 4:01 AM PST

If I am logged into my MacPro, I can scroll and swipe without any problems. My wife's login however, well thats another story. She cannot scroll or swipe at all, its really annoying. I cannot figure out whats different between our accounts. I have checked to see if anything is auto starting, nothing. I have checked in activity monitor to see if there is an unusual or hung process when she is logged in vs. when I am. Nothing. Im stumped.

Collapse -
Create a new account for your wife
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 15, 2011 9:10 PM PST

and see if the magic mouse is still misbehaving.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?