Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

No screensaver

by chucker111 / January 17, 2012 2:08 AM PST

I have Dell Inspiron 580 Windows 7,SP1.
8gb Ram,500gb HD,Clean re-install 1 month ago.
1st page when I go to screensaver box:wait 10 minutes,resume w/log on page,unchecked.
settings:turn off display-10 min.
put comp. to sleep-30 min.
Screensaver IS picked,but never comes on.waits the 30 min.,and goes to sleep.when I move mouse,comes back where I was(not a problem there),but I would like to use the screensaver,and have that option.By gosh,Ideserve it,LOL.Any help appreciated.Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No screensaver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No screensaver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2012 2:11 AM PST
In reply to: No screensaver

That CLEAN RE-INSTALL may be the issue. Did the person who did that follow Dell's install instructions or did they "Guess?"

Also there are other reasons such as what was plugged in to USB ports or other software. Did you watch for this issue as you plugged stuff in or installed apps?

Collapse -
by chucker111 / January 17, 2012 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: Just so you know.

To tell you the truth,Bob,I really don't understand.! It worked before the re-install.AND,no I didn't watch for any issues.Wouldn't know what to look for.Not totally inept,but don't anticipate certain things going wrong.That's the difference between guys like YOU,& ME,lol.Don't know what to look for,or not to worry about.Thanks,Bob.

Collapse -
You wrote.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2012 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: Uhh,no.

"Wouldn't know what to look for."

You would be looking for the issue that you are complaining about.

After the fact you get to unplug all USB things and hope that's it then uninstall apps that could be interfering. Since I don't know what was installed after the OS, I can't guess which one it was.

Collapse -
(NT) Thx 4 ur time.
by chucker111 / January 17, 2012 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: You wrote.
Collapse -
by chucker111 / January 17, 2012 9:48 AM PST
In reply to: Thx 4 ur time.

Ya know,I've always tried to respect you,Robert.You know what you are talking about,FOR SURE,BUT,you can be an as*.It's named comp. NEWBIES.Too bad we all are not as comp. savvy as you,but you offer NO help,when you make the poster feel like an IDIOT.Must be nice to sit in your computer high box.You probably don't have a life besides this forum.That's why you act like you're better than us.Congratz,genius.Hope you choke on your dust,next time you clean out your tower.(hey,I learned that from you,thx.).Hope you get to read this b4 it's deleted.(doubt it).!!!!!!!

Collapse -
by chucker111 / January 17, 2012 11:14 AM PST
In reply to: Duh
Collapse -
Consider this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: NO GUTS.!!

You are building something. As you are building it, you should be checking your work. If at the end it failed in some way and all you told me was similar to the above my advice may be the same.

Start over and watch for the issue as you build the machine or in this case add drivers and software.

It's something but since all I know about what you did is in this discussion and how to break the screensaver is caused by some thousand causes, you have to watch for that issue.

Another thing you can try is to share what you installed after the OS.

It's all up to you. If you don't feel like it, there are shops that will take your money and do this for you.

Collapse -
I read that as ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 18, 2012 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: No screensaver

you have set the screensaver to activate after 10 minutes idle and to resume without the log on page.

Then I read that you have set the power option to turn off the display after 10 minutes.

If that is right try setting the power option to turn off the display after 15 minutes which would give the screensaver time to kick in for you.

Collapse -
by chucker111 / January 19, 2012 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: I read that as ...

Thank you,sir.I will try that,and let you know the result.Thanks for your time.

Collapse -
by chucker111 / January 20, 2012 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks.

Thank you sir,for your patience,and understanding.
Your solution did the trick.Frustrating for something so meanial not to work.
Thanks again,for the help,and the peace of mind.Much Appreciated.!!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?