Laptops forum

General discussion

No screen power all on

by phuster97 / December 14, 2004 12:54 AM PST

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 and when I turn it on the lights all work but there's no screen...I hooked up my monitor up to it and it works fine but the labtop screen won't turn happened when i uninstalled my video card driver...can anyone help me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No screen power all on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No screen power all on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you need to find video card driver from manufacturer
by KenSanramon / December 15, 2004 3:56 PM PST
In reply to: No screen power all on

if you uninstalled the video card driver you cannot display video. Hopefully you have a desktop or friends computer where you can download the video card driver you need from your notebook manufacturer or the video card company (ATI, Nvidia, etc). When you want to upgrade your driver install a new driver over the old one don't delete the one you have or you have .....NOTHING !!!!

Collapse -
I did reinstall the driver..
by phuster97 / December 16, 2004 5:22 AM PST

I went on the dell website and reinstalled the video card driver...but still the labtop turns on but the screen doesn't turn on...I plug in my monitor it works but the labtop monitor still won't turn on. =(

Collapse -
Video card/integrated video should be ok if external monitor
by KenSanramon / December 16, 2004 7:22 AM PST

If you can drive an external monitor ok then the video card or integrated graphics chip on the motherboard should be ok.

In that event, perhaps the small plastic piece near the spot the LCD hits the notebook keyboard deck when closed is defective (so the notebook thinks you have it closed which turns off the built in LCD). Or, you could have a loose LCD/motherboard video connection or you could have burned out LCD backlight or inverter.

Is it it under warranty ? Try first to see if there is a small plastic part that depresses when you close the lid that might in fact be stuck in the down position telling the notebook you want the LCD off (as it thinks the Lid is closed).

If not hopefully you are under warranty but your motherboard and/or video card seem to be fine which is the major expense to worry about....

Collapse -
Make sure video settings in Control panel is set to internal
by KenSanramon / December 16, 2004 7:24 AM PST

Since you stated you could get the external monitor working I assume you know how to switch between internal and exernal video (or both) in the control panel. Make sure you have not simple told the computer to send video only to an external monitor and not the internal one in the video settings for the video card or integrated video in control panel.

Collapse -
by ikenfixit / December 16, 2004 8:33 PM PST

Verify whether or not you are getting any video to the LCD.. Shine a flashlight at an angle down directly from above the screen and see if you can see any sign of life. Although coincidental it is possible your backlight or inverter has failed. Generic drivers within Windows will not cause the screen to be inoperable. The laptop will fire the screen and boot to BIOS without a hard drive or any software installed.If you need help just yell.
Ken LaDere

Collapse -
I drop my laptop and now the monitor does not light up
by kreepsta / June 3, 2007 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Backlight

what to do if my backlighjt or invertor is damaged

Collapse -
Replace them. These are CHEAP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2007 8:50 AM PDT

I've had invertors that were under 20 bucks. The tubes are about the same. These are worth replacing if you can find the parts.

Collapse -
by ikenfixit / June 5, 2007 4:03 AM PDT

Bobs right an if it got shocked hard enough on impact it could shatter the CCFL or backlight in the panel assy...

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?