Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

No Recording / Streaming Input available in Audacity?

by CStudios / May 27, 2008 4:44 PM PDT

For some reason, I am unable to record streaming/playing audio directly from my speakers on my computer using Audacity (Version 1.2.6).

The dropdown list which allows you to select your preferred recording / input device / port is grayed out and inaccessible on my computer, and I am not sure why seeing as I have installed Audacity before on a couple other machines with nothing like this happening.

I am using an Acer Aspire 6920G notebook PC, equipped with a Realtek HD audio card for both the built-in speakers and any line-in/out and HDMI devices. I have also hooked up external speakers ("analog" using the old one-pin green-colored jack), which have not remedied the problem.

I have tried switching inputs from the built-in speakers to a Line-Out device (my external speakers and subsequently my microphone), while also switching the audio source via Windows Vista's Sound Panel between the "Speakers", and "Realtek Digital Audio Output" (Optical and Line-Out). None of these attempts have restored the dropdown list, nor have they enabled me to record any audio from any device.

I have also checked and double-checked my Audacity preferences for Playback and Recording; the only options I am given for Recording devices in Audacity is either my Microphone (from the Microphone jack - listed under Realtek), or the Microsoft MIDI Sound Mapper; As stated, I wish to use my external speakers or built-in speakers to record audio coming from them -- so the Microphone option was of no use, and the Microsoft MIDI Sound Mapper of course failed to give any evidence of audio from any device or port when recording.

Is there something else that I'm missing or another way I can go about this? I appreciate the help.

I've provided a screenshot here if needed: http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9116/capture1xp6.jpg

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Recording / Streaming Input available in Audacity?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Recording / Streaming Input available in Audacity?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2008 10:57 AM PDT

I'm reading many reports that this no longer works on that audio chipset.

Collapse -
Try this to see it work or not
by latenight9 / May 31, 2008 11:12 PM PDT

If you cannot find the Sound Mix function to record streaming audio or Internet radio, if that's what you meant, then, on Audacity, when recording, try setting up your Record Control on XP, if you could find it, with the Sound Mix Mute function uncheck...

Or, if that doesn't work, try using Super MP3 Recorder Pro and do as i told you above - at least it works for me...But it needs registration...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.