PC Hardware forum

General discussion

no power without cpu?

by Gr0v3r / December 21, 2008 9:38 AM PST

i just bought a computer but the processor was on backorder. I plugged in everything correctly but the nothing will come on. all i've got are a few LED's on the motherboard working so i assume there is nothing wrong with that. none of the drives work, none of the fans, nothing. is this because my processor is missing.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no power without cpu?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no power without cpu?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please don't do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 10:19 AM PST
In reply to: no power without cpu?

Some older designs could be damaged by doing that. For now I'd skip trying to power up and keep checking your work.

Collapse -
motherboard
by Gr0v3r / December 21, 2008 4:21 PM PST
In reply to: Please don't do that.

XFX GeForce 8200 Motherboard. is the motherboard going to be damaged? or will it affect anything else?

Collapse -
All bets are off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 9:40 PM PST
In reply to: motherboard

As I noted, in some older designs this could damage the motherboard. There is some possibility the ram sticks could be burnt out.

Why do people do this?
Bob

Collapse -
led's
by Gr0v3r / December 21, 2008 4:32 PM PST
In reply to: Please don't do that.

i figured the LED's on the front of the computer would work like the one behind the power button and the few that are in the computer. i've checked the wiring a dozen times and it all seems fine. i wasn't sure if the processor needed to be in the computer for it to be powered up. it seems that it should power up despite having the processor hooked up.

Collapse -
Np CPU power up
by Phil Crase / December 21, 2008 10:12 PM PST
In reply to: led's

Not a good idea, hopefully you didn't FRY anything. When you install the CPU make sure that you apply thermal paste before you fire the system up.

Collapse -
?
by Gr0v3r / December 22, 2008 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: Np CPU power up

whats the difference between power with and power without the processor? does the processor control anything that has to do with the power supply?

Collapse -
whats the difference ?
by anmor / December 22, 2008 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: ?

maybe a few fried components.
Try running your car without oil and water.

Collapse -
figured it out
by Gr0v3r / December 23, 2008 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: whats the difference ?

i got it, simple wiring mistake. what do u suggest i use as a cooling system? a liquid cooling system or a heatsink?

Collapse -
My oldest PCs use....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2008 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: figured it out

The heatsink and fan that came with the CPU. Intel seems to make and still do some of the longest lasting fan and heatsink combinations.

Why would I not use their supplied heatsink and fan?

Collapse -
works fine
by Gr0v3r / December 28, 2008 3:10 PM PST
In reply to: My oldest PCs use....

no hardware problems no problems at all

Collapse -
Cooling Systems
by WoadCelt / December 31, 2008 4:11 PM PST
In reply to: figured it out

Yeah I would also just use the supplied heat sink/fan combo. If you do have overheating issues you can always potentially install some additional (or more powerful) fans later or try a liquid cooling system in the future. Of course it depends on what type of system you're building and what you're using it for. Always best to try what you have first though - saves some money. Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.