Computer Help forum

General discussion

no power, replaced power supply (Is it the motherboard?)

by watkinsp / March 5, 2005 8:59 AM PST

This machine has no power. I replaced the power supply thinking this would fix the problem. Still no power. Any other ideas? Could it be the MB?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no power, replaced power supply (Is it the motherboard?)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no power, replaced power supply (Is it the motherboard?)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell more about the machine

and symptoms. Watch the fans when you turn it on. Do the seem to twitch slightly but stop? If so, something is causing the PS to shut down immediately. This is to protect it and other components. There are other things you can try. Disconnect all drives, pull the RAM and add in cards. Make sure the power switch leads are properly connected to the MB and try again. If the fans stay on, something you removed is the culprit. If nothing happens, you're probably looking at the MB or processor. You can pull the processor as well to narrow things more. This is called "ruling out" until you find the cause.

Collapse -
no green light, no pwr supply fan running?
by reefurbb / March 6, 2005 12:48 AM PST

Take out your add-in cards, except video of course. Try again. Some newer mobos won't allow pwr supply turn on if cards are bad, processor, ram. I liked the old AT supplies where you could unplug all leads to see if supply would fire up.

Collapse -
mobo not turning on PS when component is bad
by toryander / September 30, 2008 1:36 PM PDT

Does anyone know more about the statement that some mobos won't turn on powersupply if a component is bad? I would like to read more about that. I have an Asus mobo that won't power up. The LED is on. The Power supply has tested good. I have shorted the power button, but nothing moves. But this is what interests me--when I plug the 24 pin connector into my power supply tester while the other power cables are connected to hard drives I hear the hard drives spin up. When I plug connector back into motherboard no sounds but crickets chirping. I want to declare bad mobo, but wanted to learn more about the possibility of another bad component keeping the mobo from accepting power from the PS.

Collapse -
No Power Supply
by DZLDOC59 / March 7, 2005 10:30 AM PST

Before you tear your machine apart or pull your hair out lol. Do you have a spare known good power cord? Had the same thing happen to mine. The power cords have been known to go bad. Swapped my cord out and shazamm! back in biz.
Good luck! Happy

Collapse -
No power to motherboard
by kenr7485 / March 24, 2005 2:31 AM PST

We have 50 Intel D845GLVA motherboards. I have 5 that have died. The green power light is on but I get no power through the board -- no fans no nothing. I tried a new power supply, took everything loose but the board ? used a screwdriver across the switch connectors ? put in a new MoBo and processor STILL NOTHING!!
Any Suggestions?
Ken kenr@alphaware.net

Collapse -
I'm 5 for 5.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2005 2:36 AM PST

At the office we have 5 pm266 boards (VIA based) that are dead. In our case the motherboard capacitor issue showed up.

Intel is very good on their warranty so let them exchange them.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?