Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

No Power/Acknowledgement of WPC54G Adapter

by shmay7 / August 23, 2006 8:03 AM PDT

I am running XP V.2002 SP2 on a Compaq Presario 2190US ? 2.40GHz, 448 MB RAM - using a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz Notebook Adapter (WPC54G). Previously, the wireless was working just fine.

However, today, it is not. With the adapter inserted in the adaptor slot, there is no recognition of it from my computer. Generally, there are two LEDs (power and link) on the card that light up. However, now neither lights. And there is no wireless connectivity.

I uninstalled the Network Adapter driver and restarted the computer and the driver reinstalled. It now reads: ?National Semiconductor Corp. DP83815/816 10/100 MacPhyter PCI Adapter?. The Device status reads: ?This device is working properly?. The ?Troubleshoot? has produced no results. Device usage is on ?Use this device (enable)".

I have tried the Adapter in another computer and it works fine. Likewise, I have tried another Adapter in this computer and there is no sign of life.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled the software for the Adapter. Again, with no results.

What next? What else can I try?

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Power/Acknowledgement of WPC54G Adapter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Power/Acknowledgement of WPC54G Adapter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
firmware and drivers
by linkit / August 23, 2006 7:02 PM PDT

I had to update the firmware on my WPC54G to solve this particular problem.

Also, do not use that driver. Go to the Linksys downloads page to download the latest driver for your version number of the WPC54G.

ASIDE: when connecting, I find the Linksys wireless connection utility to be troublesome on some systems. I disable it and use the wireless utility built into Windows XP. Make sure your XP is updated to SP2 to have the latest version of this utility.

Collapse -
Give It A Shot
by shmay7 / August 23, 2006 8:50 PM PDT
In reply to: firmware and drivers

Thanks linkit, I'll give the firmware and driver a shot.

Any idea why it would have worked 2 days ago, and then not worked as of yesterday?

Collapse -
Still No Response
by shmay7 / August 24, 2006 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: firmware and drivers

Thanks again for working with me on this.

I do have all of my Windows Updates loaded, including SP2.

I went to Linksys and downloaded the new driver there. My Adapter is v.3 but I downloaded and installed the driver for v.5. Nothing.

Then uninstalled and installed driver for v.3. Again, nothing. When it comes to the point of inserting the adapter, I do, and nothing happens. The program discontinues.

Once again, there is still no indication from the adapter that anything is getting through to it - neither of the LED lights light up.

Doesn't it seem that since no power seems to be getting through to the adapter, that my problem is on the computer side? When I insert the adapter, shouldn't my system at least attempt to identify it, and at last the power LED should light up?

I have another submission in to Linksys, and I am going to try to work with the Compaq/HP Tech on this some more. I am hoping that this is not a hardware issue.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, there was no firmware available for the adapter at Linksys.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
insert when off
by linkit / August 24, 2006 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Still No Response

What happens when you insert WPC54G when computer is off and then start your computer? Is it then detected?

Collapse -
Still Not Detected When Started UP In Slot
by shmay7 / August 24, 2006 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: insert when off

I just finished running through things with an online Compaq/Hp Tech. After giving me some chipset drivers to install(ftp://www.uli.com.tw/driver/Integrated213.zip), she told me that if my problem persisted, then she suspects a PCMCIA slot/hardware issue.

Interestingly, when loading the chipset drivers, the two files were an audio file and a USB2.0 file. I do not have a USB 2.0, and a message appeared saying that SP2 - which I have - already has it installed. So, on the surface, I am not sure what this might have done for me.

It looks as though I am running out of options here before accepting that this is a hardware issue. My PCMCIA adapter shows "O2Micro OZ6912 CardBus Controller" under Device Manager, so I might attempt to get some other kind of help in this direction (I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and searched for updated drivers for this).

Of course, any further suggestions remain GREATLY appreciated!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?