Question

No POST signals following a failed HD WD diagnostics

Hi,
My daughter's pc failed to start reporting a read HD failure. I tried to run advanced WD diagnostics (the HD is a WD brand), but since the process failed to start, I quit and tried to reboot. But, now I got no POST signals. I can't access my CMOS.
What can I do?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: No POST signals following a failed HD WD diagnostics
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: No POST signals following a failed HD WD diagnostics
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: BIOS

That's strange. Usually your run the BIOS setup (to view and change the settings) before the POST (Power On Self Test) start.

It seems something is very wrong with the hardware. All you can do:
- reset the BIOS with the jumper (should be in the motherboard manual how to do it)
- remove the CMOS-battery for a few minutes to reset the BIOS
- reboot

If still no luck, replacing the motherboard is the next step.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
My thought is

That the machine could have overheated during the attempted tests. There is also some issue with IDE drives that can cause this when the drive fails but DETAILS about the PC are slim so I'm going with...

1. The PC overheated. Clean and correct that issue.
2. The HDD did fail and is an IDE model. Unplug the HDD and try again.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks' I try your suggestions

Unfortunately, the pc is no longer in my premises, which will force a delay. I'll try to update when done.
As to details, I would have been eager to provide them' but with a dead old pc, it's a bit complicated.

- Collapse -
Answer
HD not recognized

I use win 7 OS and it is 1 yr old Dell Optiplex 780 desktop. I t does not recognize the external HD ... I cant backup my data files No problem with the USB it recognizes it so no problem with the USB port. the machine recognizes the HD Control Panel under the Search devices .. but when I go to the computer to look for the device it is not there. Unable to back up my files. In the task bar it has the icon to safely remove the hardware. I use that before removing the HD. I also checked the drivers and the message indicates that drivers are up to date.

There is no problem with the HD as the other computer running Window XP detects the HD and displays its contents. Any help on this issue will be appreciated.

- Collapse -
Off topic?

Your issue appears to be a new one and not the topic of this discussion. Please make a new discussion since hijacking someone else's is not a good idea.
Bob

CNET Forums