HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

Question

No picture displayed, but melody continues LCD 6-650 Fix?

by Barb4233 / June 2, 2011 11:37 PM PDT

Suddenly, our LCD TV Series 6, 650 will display no picture or other information from the set-top box, when the remote power on button is pressed; however, the confirmation that the TV has received the "power on" instruction is confirmed by the Melody. The Melody continues to play even when we pull the plug on the TV and then plug it back in. We have confirmed that the set top box is functioning properly and have isolated the problem to the on/off switch. We have attempted to power the system on and off using the manual controls on the set, without results. Yesterday, we had the same problem, but suddenly the picture came on and the set worked perfectly as it always has in the past. Any suggestions? (P.S. The Melody is nice, but right now, it is driving us crazy.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No picture displayed, but melody continues LCD 6-650 Fix?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No picture displayed, but melody continues LCD 6-650 Fix?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What's Wrong

So what's wrong now the melody or No Picture?

Collapse -
Capacitor Problem Identified
by Barb4233 / June 3, 2011 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: What's Wrong

We were able to contact Samsung directly. They recognized the problem and will repair the TV at no cost although the set is out of warantee. There is a problem with a capacitor that provides power to the set. (Due to the advanced design of the TV, we call it the "flux capacitor" -- important to have a sense of humor about these things.) P.S. The "Melody" feature is working fine, but after you've heard it for 24 hours, it wears a little thin. We can't shut it off. Perhaps a design error.

Collapse -
Sadly not a design error but bad corporate espionage.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 10:38 AM PDT

Google BAD CAPS to learn about a stolen formula and millions of dead PCs due to a botched espionage job.

Collapse -
Mahta Hari Melody
by Barb4233 / June 3, 2011 1:35 PM PDT

Can you explain how my melody is spying on me?????

Collapse -
I can only guess
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 1:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Mahta Hari Melody

They are after the missing part of the formula.

Collapse -
Samsung Service
by Barb4233 / June 4, 2011 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: I can only guess

I'm going to let you all know how Samsung service is. So far, we received a copy an e-mail from Samsung to their factory-authorized service company giving us the repair order # and a web-site to go to to track the status of the service order. Pretty neat. We called the dealer because the Samsung guy, who was outstanding, suggested that might help hurry along the repasir (it didn't). The dealer said, we'll call you, don't call us, so right now we're waiting. Two business days is the norm. Tick-tock. Stay tuned. For those techies out there, we'll try to explain the problem as the tech guy explains it to us. We're also going to ask how to activiate some of the more arcane features of the TV, such as Wiselink. We already have the thing hooked up to our wireless network with Playstation and Netflix, and it works beautifully!

Collapse -
Luney Tunes
by Barb4233 / June 4, 2011 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung Service

Forgot the update on the Melody feature. Yes, we are by this time desperately trying to mute this feature . . . this harmless little ditty has embedded itself in our subconscious minds after our first night of listneing to it. We tried the instructions on page 60 of the manual, i.e. using the mute and volume control buttons. No dice. This little feature is persistent, if nothing else. Of course, with no picture, we can't follow the instructions to deactivate this toothsome little tune. Da, da, dum DAH DAH.

Collapse -
Ahh that STARTUP sound.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2011 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Luney Tunes

There is a discussion about what menu that is in, but as I read the top post we have to wait till the set is fixed till you can find the menu to turn it off.
Bob

Collapse -
Revival
by Barb4233 / June 4, 2011 5:45 AM PDT

What ho!! Life is full of little victories. The picture suddenly and mysteriously reappeared in all its glorious splendor at 12:38 PM this Saturday. First priotity: Turn off the Melody function, which can indeed be found in the Set-Up menu. I would guess that this type of problem will be avoided in the future by porting voice-activiated command structures now used by the auto industry. But, for now, it has been quieted.

We plan to keep the TV on until the service man arrives, as we feel that, if we turn it off now, the picture will not return. We are having some discussion as to whether the thing has been on all this time anyway. How else could the picture have returned? As the blind man said, "We will see."

Will continue to post until this siuation is resolved.

Collapse -
If it is the BAD CAP issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2011 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Revival

You can find out how these BAD CAPS behave. They fail when cold and work when warmed up. However later failure modes include a dead short.
Bob

Collapse -
BAD CAP Issue
by Barb4233 / June 4, 2011 9:43 AM PDT

Thanks. That was very helpful. If this i the problem, does it make a difference if the unit is wall-mounted or stand-alone, i.e. does the unit have to come off the wall to be serviced? (Because that's a two-man job.)

Collapse -
I Should Think So
by Mr Shaun Warburton / June 4, 2011 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: BAD CAP Issue

Undoubtedly Yes

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Update
by Barb4233 / June 9, 2011 3:06 AM PDT

Samsung repairman arrivced today and replaced the power supply. Certain serial numbers on the Samsung LCD 6 650 have problems with the power supply and are replaced by Samsung without charge.

Great service!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.