Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No path or network drive / resource YIKKKKKES

by parsonsrw / April 7, 2006 6:15 AM PDT

I am still working on this one. Okay, a Dell Desktop running XP Home. An IBM laptop running the same. DSL and a Lynksys Wireless B router connecting all. AGV anti virus on Dell. All adapters attached. Norton on laptop. File and printer sharing enabled on both.
Of course, there's the Windows Firewall on both. I can ping the laptop from the dell but can't ping the dell from the laptop. I get the message no network drive/resource. Can someone please tell me what I am missing? And thanks in advance.
Veronica

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No path or network drive / resource YIKKKKKES
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No path or network drive / resource YIKKKKKES
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is the
by Darton Fury / April 7, 2006 6:50 AM PDT

IP Configuration of both computers?

Collapse -
Bear with me
by parsonsrw / April 7, 2006 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: What is the

What exactly do you mean? Do you want numbers or do you want me to tell you it is automatic config or manual? And thank you for responding.
Veronica

Collapse -
Also...don't know if this is important
by parsonsrw / April 8, 2006 1:24 AM PDT

I am able to share an intenet connection

Collapse -
Up and Running again
by parsonsrw / April 8, 2006 5:34 AM PDT

I did a lot of reading on the subject of wireless networking and it all sounds so simple. Still, there are many factors involved and I don't know how it worked but it did. Enabling guest accounts and disabling firewalls finally allowed me to share. Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
Glad you got it sorted, but.....
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Up and Running again

Veronica although you are now able to share resources between the two computers, doing so without a firewall is risky, especially if either is connected to the internet at any time.

I'm not sure what the initial problem could have been, quite possibly a firewall problem, but it is safer to solve that, rather than switch off either or both firewalls.

There may be a simple solution, on each computer download and install a 3rd party firewall, such as ZoneAlarm, or Kerio, etc. But the trick is to install them when both computers are connected and talking to each other.

I don't mean you have to be physically sharing anything between them, but if the network is active, then when the firewall installs it should recognise the network between the two computers and ask you if you want to allow it. That way, if you say Yes, the firewalls on each computer should not cause any problems.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.