General discussion

NO OS BUT......

by Fareid / September 8, 2006 11:37 AM PDT

I get only this message on sceen

"CMOS ckecksum error-Dfault loaded"
Please help me sortout this,thanks.

Fareid.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NO OS BUT......
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NO OS BUT......
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What Are You Trying To Do?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 8, 2006 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: NO OS BUT......

You've told us nothing about the computer or what you're trying to do.. Is the operating system already installed? Does this message pop up at start up? Is it an old computer? The error can come up when the motherboard is dying. Or sometimes when the CMOS battery needs replacing. Have you tried removing the CMOS battery for 5 minutes, then replacing it with a new one? The default settings should reset and hopefully it fixes the issue.

Have you installed a new piece of hardware recently?

Or are you trying to install the OS from a CD to a new hard drive? Old hard drive?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
NO OS BUT
by Fareid / September 8, 2006 10:51 PM PDT

Yes,win98se installed for the last one year.It was ok but yesterday at startup i got this message.i just switched it on.its 3year old intel PII 433MHZ with seagate 4+GB hard disk,no didnt remove battery i will do it now and come back with result.
Thanks

Fareid

Collapse -
NO OS BUT
by Fareid / September 9, 2006 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: NO OS BUT......

INTEL CELERON 433MHz
Memory Testing:97280K OK +Shared Memory
Trend ChipAway Virus(R)On Guard Ver1.64
Secondary IDE Chennel no 80 conductor cable installed.
CMOS ckecksum error-Default Loaded.
Press F1 to continue,DEL to enter SETUP LASH.
Battery removed for 5 min.pressed F1 and DEL nothing works.

Fareid

Collapse -
Replace CMOS regardless
by Willy / September 9, 2006 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: NO OS BUT

Replace the CMOS battery as 3yrs. or more, its about time. Install new battery then go into the bios and enter the setting as they should be. Save all of it before exiting the bios area. Reboot, and then check the results, it may fault again, if so, reboot to re-enter bios and verify system setting. Make sure if any "jumper" need it be set or return to NOT clear the bios, read your manual or inspect the mtrbd. for such what its postiton should be. OK.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I take that to mean.
by Bob__B / September 9, 2006 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: NO OS BUT

You took the battery out.

Waited 5 mins.

Put the old battery back in and had the same problem.

Next step....take the battery out and 'replace' it with a new one.

Cheap test they are only a few bucks.

Collapse -
NO OS BUT........
by Fareid / September 11, 2006 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: I take that to mean.

Hi,
I changed battery but no luck no change in disktop reading,i can not enter anywhere,NO CMOS,BIOS or SETUP.

Fareid

Collapse -
Motherboard Problems..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: NO OS BUT........

It appears like it's time to get a new motherboard..

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!