Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No operating system found

by Cheng / October 29, 2003 1:49 AM PST

After a bug during a game installation, I restart the notebook. Then the screen is black just with "no operating system found". So I insert the recouvery XP CD, that is Error 88, unable to find correct drive. Please tell me what can I do. The OS that I am using is Window XP home edition (in Chinese).
Paris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No operating system found
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No operating system found
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:No operating system found
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2003 1:56 AM PST

I can't share good news. I've seen that message and the user had partitioned it with partition magic, had linux and such on it so we had to just start over. They were not happy, but no one was willing to touch it. Lots of sad looks all around.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:No operating system found
by Cheng / October 29, 2003 4:22 AM PST

Dear Bob, I don't quite get your message. Do I have to reinstall the OS. By the way, I have just got the Recovery CD and not the WindowXP CD. Does the Recovery CD can do the work and how do I proceed? I am really at loss.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:No operating system found
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2003 4:43 AM PST

My reply was to draw you out and supply any further information.

If you have a restore CD, you want to boot that CD. If that CD won't boot, call the vendor and get that working first. Set the BIOS to boot from the CD.

The last restore CDs I'm using restore the OS and your files are saved. Take that offer first.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:No operating system found
by Cheng / October 29, 2003 5:56 AM PST

Dear Bob, as I have said, I just have a black screen writing no operating system found. Now I insert the recovery CD and what I have to do next. I have been using Window 95 and Window 98 second edition and I have never met this kind of problem.
So I am completely at loss and afraid to damage my children's new notebook with Window XP installed. Please, help!

Collapse -
Damage all done. Now you are in the repair mode.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2003 6:42 AM PST

It varies a little from make/model of the laptop, but usually you put the CD in and reboot to cause it to boot off the CD. The BIOS must be set to do so, but unless its been changed, that's the first step.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:No operating system found
by Cheng / October 29, 2003 5:14 AM PST

Dear Bob, I don't quite get your message. Do I have to reinstall the OS. By the way, I have just got the Recovery CD and not the WindowXP CD. Does the Recovery CD can do the work and how do I proceed? I am really at loss.

Collapse -
Can you see drive when you are in bios?
by trytohelp / October 29, 2003 7:00 AM PST

If not maybe your hard drive failed. It says drive not found, right?

Collapse -
Re:Can you see drive when you are in bios?
by Cheng / October 29, 2003 9:39 PM PST

No, when I insert the Recovery CD (the vendor tells me it is all I get), in fact it is just written A:\ (I guess it asks for a floppy drive that I don't have) for the message after is Error 88, no right drive device found. What have I to do to run the Recovery CD? Can you explain steps by steps because I am a beginner, please!

Collapse -
After 9 posts you have not revealed what make/model is your laptop so no one can really help other than...
by David Chan / October 29, 2003 9:51 PM PST

say boot with the Recovery CD and perform a restore.

Since you obviously have Internet access why not go to the Laptop manufacturer's website to download the instruction manual and check for the correct procedure on how to use the Recovery CD.

Some may require you to press a specific key to initiate the recovery as a protection from accidental recovery.

Just in case you are in the XP's Recovery Console (black screen with command prompt look) try typing: FIXBOOT and see if that fix it.

'Else look up the proper Recovery instructions for your Laptop.

Or call the vendor for assistance.

Collapse -
Re:After 9 posts you have not revealed what make/model is your laptop so no one can really help other than...

Dear Sir, thank you very much for your clear instruction. I was in a panic and just have forgotten to say my notebook is Tiny,from a Hong Kong computers company. I have already sent them a e mail and I have to wait again for their answer. Beside, I haven't got the manuel with the notebook . The notebook is a gift for my children from Hong Kong. I am actually using another PC with internet connection. I would check up
Tiny's home page.Once again, thank you very much. I look up to you because I often visit CNet for information.

Collapse -
In your earlier post you said...

"So I am completely at loss and afraid to damage my children's new notebook with Window XP
installed."

If it's new it should have an Owner's Manuals and you should be able to contact their Tech Support?

Or telephone the store you bought it from and they should be able to get you the instructions for using the Recovery Disk.

Collapse -
Re:In your earlier post you said...
by Cheng / October 30, 2003 1:44 AM PST

Dear Sir, Indeed it is a new notebook, a gift from Hong Kong but I live in France. Someway or other, I haven't got the manual. I have just checked up Tiny's home web and I think I will wait patiently for their answer to my e mail. Anyway, it is really a great pleasure to hear from you. It is really shocking to view a black screen.

Collapse -
(NT)Can you post the link to Tiny's website?
by David Chan / October 30, 2003 1:48 AM PST

Collapse -
No Operating systemFound/could not load autochk.exe
by xsoulz / September 26, 2007 11:09 AM PDT

when resizing partition using Ubuntu Linux,
I had it installed on virtual

I got operating system not found error.. even though I resized using free space... so thats the last time I do that ...

one I did resize, it said OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND

SAFE MODE, last known good configuration and other stuff will not work..

1.I BOOTED FROM XP CD, ensuring cd was a boot device.. (on dell inspiron 6400 you press f12 and then select cd-rom from the device list)
2. see if Repair Installation is available
if yes.. do a repair installation I guess...
if no... restart machine, boot from XP cd again, then
go to RECOVERY CONSOLE (press r when prompted)

3. in recovery console it should fix c: and say unreadable perhaps... when you try dir ..

type:
fixmbr
fixboot
it will say ONLY do this if you can't boot, which should be the case.

could not load autochk.exe
now you shoudl be able to see the windows loading screen.
The problem is a HIDDEN partition.
when windows loads it will say
could not load autochk.exe
http://www.pchell.com/support/autochknotfound.shtml

Now I have a LAPTOP with no floppy drive, and I wasted a good at least 10 CDs trying to get the thing to boot, and fix what I needed.

Basically you need any tool that can create a bootable CD(for laptops ..) allowing you to hide or unhide partitions
i.e. changing the partition type number.

Solution: GET ACRONIS PARTITION EXPERT

I am not sure if the trial can burn to a cd, but the professional version can, and then you boot from this CD, and follow the instructions at
http://www.pchell.com/support/autochknotfound.shtml
which basically involve changing the partition to NTFS type(assuming it was NTFS originally I guess..)
0x07
if you tried to install Ubuntu Linux the number will be some Linux number like 0x17... so change to 0x07

Alternate Solution: get a bootable floppy with ptedit and boot from it
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/ptedit.zip

The number here should generally be 07 (hex), meaning the partition is an "Installable File System", in other words a bootable drive. If its anything else its not bootable.

Using your tab key, tab down to the Type box and hold down ALT + T to open the Set Type menu, then with your keyboard arrow, select 07, tab down to Ok and press Enter

Cool Hold down ALT + S to Save Changes to the partition table and then Press CTRL +C to exit out of the program.

COnclusion:
the problem is if the number is not 07... it is a hidden partition.

Collapse -
Did you notice this discussion is about 3 years old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2007 11:14 AM PDT

Thanks for the note but given the age my answers are likely to have changed and the original poster has hopefully resolved this.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.