PC Applications forum

General discussion

No Norton ever again on my systems

by rae2_2 / January 20, 2006 1:50 AM PST

I started 'puting in the 80s long before hard drives were even invented. Back then, Peter Norton came out with a few useful tools that helped us nerds keep our systems working (akin to baling wire to keep Model T Fords on the road.)

Time passed. Peter sold out and Symantec began building their multi-national brainwashing of the computing public. You've gotta hand it to them... they're marketing geniuses. Too bad their software, for the most part, doesn't even come close to living up to the hype.

I can't think of any suite of programs that has caused me more grief... more wasted time... more hard drive screwups... than Norton SystemWorks (or any of the subsets of it that Symantec packages brilliantly and fobs off on an unsuspecting public). Symantecware, in my experience, is invasive beyond anyone's comprehension, including their own techs, and is as likely to cripple or render your computer USELESS as it is to tune it up or protect it.

Whenever a customer calls for my assistance, the first question I ask is "Do you have any Norton/Symantec programs installed?" If the answer is "yes" I then give the caller two choices. Either they agree to a complete removal of all of them, or they'll need to find another computer support person. I've wasted enough of my life trying to untangle the messes Symantec installations-gone-wrong cause.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Norton ever again on my systems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Norton ever again on my systems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My nanosecond of time. Link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2006 2:14 AM PST
Collapse -
And you get paid for what?
by Coryphaeus / January 20, 2006 7:31 AM PST

To give your opinion? Or to help.

I've been using Norton since the 80s myself. I'm currently running NSW 2006 with absolutely zero problems on one machine and 2005 on two others.

What I have found (I dabble in computer repair myself) is that 99% of the consumer problems are because the drivers of these PC don't have a clue on safe computing, safe surfing, or where the onoff switch is. Then they hose up their machines with useless software, they install everything they find on line, and then they complain because "The last thing I installed is Norton and now nothing works". Well, duh!

You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. If Norton had such bad software they wouldn't be in business very long.

I just hope I never have to call support and talk to you.

Collapse -
Experience, not opinion
by rae2_2 / January 20, 2006 11:10 AM PST

If you had taken the time to actually READ my piece instead of knee-JERK reacting, you would have answered your question before wasting time and electrons.

I do agree that many ''consumer problems'' are caused by naive & inept operators INTERFACING with software that ASSUMES greater skills than most users have.

Clearly, you, as an experienced ''dabbler'' know how to keep all your ducks in a row and stay out of trouble. Not surprising you haven't had any problems with Norton... it doesn't take much of a program to NOT SCREW UP on a clean, well operated system.

As you admitted... either installing NSW onto a system that already has ''problems,'' or throwing ''problems'' at it after installation, often leads to NSW SCREWING UP. I'm sorry... but I expect a set of UTILITIES and REPAIR PROGRAMS, especially ones with the alledged ''pedigree'' of Symantec's Norton, to by now be ''smart'' enough to almost NEVER screw up NO MATTER HOW INEPT THE OPERATOR. I have to assume that's why these novices shell out BIG BUCKS for the ''protection'' in the first place.

Glad you've had good experiences with NSW. I don't agree that purveyors of ''bad software'' won't be in business very long... ever used Windows from Microsoft?

And I'm sure you are far too advanced a user to ever have to ''call support'' so I guess we don't get to torment each others' egos in person.

Collapse -
We do NOT GET PAID- look at this web page
by Dick Humfrey / January 20, 2006 11:20 AM PST

All the moderators on CNET you will see on this list on this web page are unpaid volunteers who give support because they love doing so. We get no side benefits either for doing so either.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7600_7-5565454-1.html

I have tried many virus suites and system tools. Recently I had to return two very big named suites and get refunds as they were nothing but absolute problems. Yet if I named them here people would be astounded as they are two very well known and popular ones that people swear by and stake their lives on.

So really it is take them as you find them and for this reason you will usually not find me making good or bad comments about a product. All can have their bugs and idiosyncrasies.

I give support for a registry program on the net-some users here knock it and many of the users say it is the best thing they have ever come across.

I agree with your comment that many users create their own problems much of it due to the fact they do not read the instructions-stuff things up-and then do not know that recovery is easy.

I have found the NSW and NIS 2006 are the lesser of the known evils.But do not extol them as being PERFECT either. JUST creators of LESS problems.

HOWEVER keep in mind we are all giving of our time and energies here for free. And do not knock us on the basis we are getting paid for it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?