HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

No Network Connections?

by Haisook / November 21, 2005 6:12 PM PST

Well, I use the internet within a LAN, and sometimes through a dial-up connection. Now when I open the 'Network Connections' folder, I don't find any connections there! not even 'create a new connection'. The folder is totally empty.

Plus, the icon of the internet conncetion of the LAN (the 2 tiny computers beside the clock) isn't there either although I am connected and using it to type these words.

I click on the small arrow to view the hidden icons, and tried to enable 'always show' in taskbar properties, but both don't work. It's weird as everything was ok a few days ago..

How to get those settings back? I can't disable or edit any connection now cause of this.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Network Connections?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Network Connections?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And your Operating System is what?
by Coryphaeus / November 21, 2005 10:06 PM PST

I'm assuming it's XP as W98 does not show the LAN icon but it does show the DUN connection.

Please read the red instructions above where you will reply.

Collapse -
Stated..
by Haisook / November 22, 2005 1:17 AM PST

It's stated in my profile:

- Win XP Pro SP1

Collapse -
Haisook, Just To Make Sure...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 12:30 AM PST

In addition to answering the questions by Coryphaeus above, it does appear like you're using XP, so please check this:

Click on Start-Run, then type: services.msc , then click on OK. When the "Services" window loads, scroll down through the listed services and double click on the "Network Connections" selection. The "Network Connections" service window should load. In the middle of the window, make sure the "Service Status" says: "Started". If it doesn't, then click on the "Start" button. In addition, make sure the "Start Up" type says: "Manual" or "Automatic" and DOES NOT say: "Disabled". If it's set to "Disabled" , then my machine here has it set as "Manual", but you might want to tinker with the setting to see if "Automatic" helps. If you made any changes, click on "Apply", then OK.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks but it didn't work
by Haisook / November 22, 2005 1:18 AM PST
Collapse -
It appears you shot yourself in the foot?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 12:40 AM PST
Collapse -
Actually..
by Haisook / November 22, 2005 1:21 AM PST

I've managed to disable sharing of files with my LAN admin by inserting a special key into the system registry and it worked. It didn't cause any problems esp. as to what's happening now.

I don't think what I'd done months ago interferred ONLY now and caused this weird problem. Remember, the connection is perfectly fine; it's only that I can't view any network icons.

Collapse -
Your other posts show you tinker a lot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: Actually..

Just reviewing your posts shows that something is odd about your behaviour on the PC. You seem to have far too much trouble but if I look over your posts, it seems you like to tinker.

Please try to tinker less and remember to undo those things since a Microsoft update plus your modifications could pull the trigger and blow your toes off.

Bob

Collapse -
Haha..
by Haisook / November 22, 2005 5:14 AM PST

I don't know how you came up with such a smart conclusion, but I don't think I tinker at all. Most of the things around us may need to be modded, and that's what I do, cautiously.

I've been given a lot of help from these forums in attempts to sort out problems which appeared that my 'tinkering' wasn't a cause of them.

I hope you give valuable opinions here rather than looking at the previous posts and coming up with genious conclusions about the poster's personality. If not, just don't reply at all. You're wasting your time as well as wasting others'.

I'm sorry for that but I couldn't stand not saying them.

Collapse -
Sorry for the delay'd response.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2005 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: Haha..

I agree it seems odd to look at a member's older posts but in your case I remember a prior post where you wanted to tweak a setting and by looking over your posts a pattern emerges that you don't let the OS alone.

It's not a bad thing you've done here but it helps to know when the OS was purposely tinkered with or when SPYWARE has gotten on the system.

What's even harder for some to accept is that not all damage is repairable short of an OS install. It's not that it can't be fixed, it's how many hours (days, weeks) it will take.

For an example, look at the cost to repair a car. At some point they call it "totalled" and you replace rather than repair. At least it's cheap to reinstall the PC's OS.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Please help!!
by Haisook / November 25, 2005 12:06 AM PST
Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / November 25, 2005 12:45 AM PST
Now when I open the 'Network Connections' folder, I don't find any connections there! not even 'create a new connection'. The folder is totally empty.

From your scenario I believe you mean the context menus rather than folders for Network in the Control Panel is void of anything listed in the boxes and that perhaps the tabs are either there and is also void of information or they are missing altogether from the applet, or that perhaps you're not able to fix the connection explained in article [Q329050] or run icwconn1.exe.

IMHO, if you're not able to use icwconn1.exe to set things right so those options appear in the Network, this would mean there is registry corruption or missing registry key information.

If troubleshooting the process using the article link above, or running the Connection Wizard doesn't fix things, you most likely will need to use "restore."
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.