Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No MSIE on a Win XP Pro computer

by Cletus29 / November 10, 2005 12:34 PM PST

A neighbor lady brought over her 2 year old Dell laptop running Win XP Pro that obviously had not been kept up to date. We installed and ran Spybot, AdAware, AVG, and SpywareBlaster and removed considerable garbage. I checked and found that SP-2 had not been installed so decided we should also install and run MSAS before installing SP-2.

We had been using FireFox and I tried to bring up MSIE for the Microsoft download, but could not find MSIE anywhere on the computer. Outlook Express was there, but no MSIE and we really must have that to get her Windows updates current.

I have never worked with a Windows computer that did not have some version of MSIE installed and really don?t know how to find and install it.

I don?t like to get into an area that I am not familiar with on a computer belonging to some one else so could use some help here.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No MSIE on a Win XP Pro computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No MSIE on a Win XP Pro computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
iexplore.exe
by sheilakmcd / November 10, 2005 4:07 PM PST

Click Start, then Run, type in iexplore.exe, click ok, and see if it comes up.

Collapse -
MSIE missing...
by Papa Echo / November 10, 2005 4:24 PM PST

MSIE suposedly cannot be removed easily, as it is part and parcel of the new Windows OS. Go to control Panel> Add/Remove Programs, and at the left panel, go for Add/Remove Windows Components. Internet Explorer should be there with a check box.....

Collapse -
Further testing this morning---
by Cletus29 / November 11, 2005 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: MSIE missing...

Did a run iexplore.exe and got a window saying Windows cannot find iexplore.

Looked at Control Panel Windows Components and see a check on Internet Explorer with a file size of 0.0 MB.

There is a file "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe", but double clicking on it does nothing. It is about 89Kilobytes in size.

I am guessing that someone installed FireFox on her Dell XP Pro and then deleted MSIE reasoning that it was no longer needed. If true however, I don?t understand how Outlook Express is alive and working---I thought it was part of MSIE.

I told the lady to continue using the computer, but that she was at risk without SP-2 and many upgrades installed.

Can anyone tell me how I can install MSIE on this thing?

Thanks

Collapse -
RE MSIE
by Papa Echo / November 11, 2005 6:07 AM PST
Looked at Control Panel Windows Components and see a check on Internet Explorer with a file size of 0.0 MB.

The file size of 0.0 MB mearly means that no further space is utilized if you put a check on the item. A check is put there to ''turn on'' or activate MSIE. You can try installing it from from tucows.com HERE. After installing, get the security patches from Windows update. You can also try running sfc /runnow and see whether the missing file can be reiunstalled.
Collapse -
Missing IE
by Rodax / November 11, 2005 11:20 AM PST
In reply to: RE MSIE

I was missing IE at one time. I went to BestBuy and got a free MSN startup disk. Reinstalled it from there.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!