Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

No log in screen after installing Norton 2008

by footloose77 / September 28, 2007 10:14 AM PDT

I just installed Norton Antivirus on my laptop computer (Compaq). After my computer starts up there is no log in screen for me to sign on. How do I get on my system?

If I press ctrl-alt-delete twice I can get that log on screen, but when I try to enter the password I had for the normal log on screen, it does not work

My computer runs on Windows XP home. It is 4 years old.

I purchased the anitvirus by downloading it directly from Norton

Hope all this information helps so you can help me get on my computer!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No log in screen after installing Norton 2008
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No log in screen after installing Norton 2008
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a thought.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / September 28, 2007 11:35 AM PDT

Did you try running Symantec AutoFix tool ?

Go here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/index.jsp

This solution requires that you use Internet Explorer. If this page is open in any other Web browser, open it in Internet Explorer.

Collapse -
can't log on
by footloose77 / September 28, 2007 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought.....

Thank you for the suggestion. The problem is, I can't access anything with my laptop. I can't get into it at all. There is a blue blank screen which only lets me turn off my computer.

Collapse -
Try their solution for...
by Donna Buenaventura / September 28, 2007 1:54 PM PDT
In reply to: can't log on
Collapse -
will try
by footloose77 / September 28, 2007 2:11 PM PDT

Thank you Donna for your suggestion! I will give it a try.

Collapse -
(NT) Good luck! We're happy to help :-)
by Donna Buenaventura / September 28, 2007 2:51 PM PDT
In reply to: will try
Collapse -
Still can not get on computer
by footloose77 / October 1, 2007 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: will try

well I've been all over trying to get on the computer. I can go into safe mode but once the system goes through the boot process it ends with the blue windows screen saying "to begin click on user name but there is no user name to click on! If I do ctrl-alt- delte twice I get a user name but I have tried my password and every generic password.... nothing works. I've been on with Norton tech support, they can't help. I tried reinstalling Windows XP. Does anyone know what I can do to access my system?

Collapse -
Do you mean the password failed?
by Donna Buenaventura / October 1, 2007 5:32 PM PDT

You entered a correct password but the system did not recognize it as correct one?
If so, you should not try to reinstall XP but try to use Windows Recovery Console (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058) but if you already reinstall XP, you should just wipe the drive by formatting it then fresh install Windows XP. You lost whatever you have before though (if you do not have any backup of the system).

I'm not familiar with Compaq but you might want to check whether they also provide System Recovery Tools.

Collapse -
I have Compaq
by tomron / October 1, 2007 5:56 PM PDT

start>all programs>pc help & tools>compaq system recovery.

Collapse -
(NT) Have you tried ADMINISTRATOR as a password
by tomron / October 1, 2007 6:03 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.