Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

No landline for internet. What are my options?

by anitrax1 / August 28, 2009 2:52 PM PDT

Hi Guys, I know this is totally random and my jargon may be a bit dated but here goes...

I live in a newer condo building and the whole building is ethernet-wired, what I mean to say is where the phone jacks usually are we have cat5e jacks with what looks like a separate connection for cable and/or DirecTV underneath (sorry I'm not sure what that connection is called.) Everyone in the building is using the same internet company, and they are completely inept but I won't go into that. We have no telephone landlines here so I'm not sure what my options are... DSL? Or mobile broadband? I'm currently using an apple airport extreme for wireless, I've already gone to the apple forums and it seems mobile broadband won't work with that so it's probably not an option. Satellite looks to be way too expensive for me. I'd like to pay less than $100 a month.

The Computers-
We have one brand new 24" imac - this is probably used about once a week and mostly used to mix music, not much surfing. The airport is connected to the imac in our office.

One Dell XPSM1330 laptop - I work from home as a real estate assistant and I'm pretty-much online (email, sending docs to clients, research, posting listings to websites, er, facebooking) using this all day, every day.

One ibook G4 - We use this little guy when we're too lazy to leave the couch. The ibook and the Dell are often being used at the same time in the evenings.

The space
About 1100sqft 2bd, 2bth concrete loft - we've had no issues using the airport in here. Any advice or shove in the right direction (not off a cliff) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time! ~ Anitra

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No landline for internet. What are my options?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No landline for internet. What are my options?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is a very confusing post...or maybe it's just me.
by ahtoi / August 29, 2009 7:34 AM PDT

You live in a condo which means you don't live out in the forest/mountain some where. Yet..."I'm pretty much online all day)"? Have you talk to the neighbors about the ethernet wiring or call the telephone company? I don't think anyone can tell you much until you find out what's available to you in your area. This is meant to be a friendly suggestion.

Collapse -
Telling you how much I was online...
by anitrax1 / August 29, 2009 9:07 AM PDT

was meant to be a clue regarding how much bandwidth I use. It's not unheard of for service providers have monthly limits. An no, your response did not come across and friendly. If that's difficult for you to do, please do not bother responding. Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
Difficult to say what you have access to...
by sunwatcher / August 29, 2009 8:15 AM PDT

First, are you sure you have no telephone lines running to your space? It would be difficult to believe that you can't get basic landline-based phone service. Have you asked the building manager or your neighbors about this? And why is everyone using the same ISP? Is it the only one available?

The TV antenna jack could be cable service, so you might be able to have internet over cable. I think you need to talk to your building manager and find out exactly what those Cat5 and cable jacks are supplying. As far as we know you might have access to every internet service available.

Post back if you need further help.

Collapse -
Never mind.
by anitrax1 / August 29, 2009 9:23 AM PDT

"First, are you sure you have no telephone lines running to your space?" When we moved in we were told by the developer that there were no telephone lines whatsoever. So unless someone in another unit HAD to have a landline and was willing to pay the costs associated with having that installed, this is indeed still the case.

"And why is everyone using the same ISP?" It's cheaper. We get a deal, lower monthly payments. This is common with new developments in my town - Chicago. I apologize for not mentioning that before.

"As far as we know you might have access to every internet service available." The only cable internet service provider in my area is comcast. I suppose I'll start calling my local providers. I came to cnet hoping to avoid a bit of the cross-selling and avoidance that goes on with those calls. Thanks anyway. I'm done here.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?