The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

No killer apps on XBOX 360?

by sibod / November 22, 2005 8:07 PM PST

Following up on tbe discussion on yesterdays Podcast - i'd like to comment:

Which is crazier.

Spending $400 on a console to play one REALLY GOOD game

Spending $400 on a console to play a selection of GREAT games, all above average etc.

Personally Id rather have one great game and several great ones, but frankly that does not happen that often, if at all.

The PS2 had a very medeocre launch selection, and the Gamecube didnt have anything worth buying of note. The PSP has absolutely no killer apps, nor does the DS (unless you count Mario DS, but that's a port).

By most accounts, PGR3 seems to be a good reason to want an XBOX 360, but Driving games arent as popular as FPSs or Platformers. Perfect Dark Zero is getting lots of priase, but was too late to build up the hype, unlike Halo - and it's not quite as shiny as PGR3.

It's ironic that most people who bought a PS2 in the early days did so on the promise of GT3 and Metal Gear Solid - but neither game came out for nearly 1 - 2 years after the console. The same is looking like it'll be true for the PS3, but once again, people want to hold out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No killer apps on XBOX 360?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No killer apps on XBOX 360?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
there are...
by LiK / November 22, 2005 10:31 PM PST

well, there are a couple of super excellent games on the 360 like call of duty 2, perfect dark zero and PGR3. they are amazing. i was in awe of the demos. they may not be the killer app like the upcoming halo 3, but i'm guessing they're a good enough reason to own a 360 right now. i wish i could get one right now Sad

Collapse -
It's rare that any console launches witha Must Have
by sibod / November 22, 2005 11:09 PM PST
In reply to: there are...

Apart from the N64 with Mario 64, no other console has ever launched with a single game that makes it worthwhile. And even then I'd question wether I would want to spend $400 on a console to play a single thing.

As it is, I think the XBOX 360 has a very strong lineup. It's just not a completely universal lineup. But then the launch is simply the start, and it'll take price cuts and steady releases to make it more popular.

Halo 3 will no doubt be a reason for many.

Sony doesnt ahve the luxury of a slew of top quality exclusive titles that are all must haves.

The original KillZone was hailed as a Halo killer, but wasnt even close. So there's nothing to suggest KillZone 2 will be any better other than a swish trailer.
MGS4 show spromise, but it's not a system exclusive (None of the MGS games have been for the PS2 only). Hideo Kojima has already said that the 360 could render the demo they showed for PS3 recently.
That leaves GT4.
Forza showed even GT isnt untouchable.

Unless SOny really pulls some stunning 1st party exclsives, there's really little reason to buy a PS3 unless you want to play Blue Ray.

And even then, how many disks will there be? Unlike the PS2 which had 3 years of DVD releases to back it up, there's going to be little or no BlueRay releases beforehand.

Methinks BlueRay could be Sony's achilese heal if it proves unpopular against HD DVD.

Collapse -
by LiK / November 23, 2005 12:00 AM PST

yea, but i do have to say that the Xbox had the original Halo which was the main reason why i bought the system at launch. i actually ignored getting the N64 until Zelda came out for it.

but i agree that blu-ray is format that i'm not sure everyone will love over hd-dvd. i guess if it's a format exclusive to the PS3 then maybe it'll work. but i guess if blu-ray fails, sony can keep the technology for the console rather than general DVDs.

Collapse -
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
by Quorum25 / November 23, 2005 3:45 AM PST

Too bad that they did not finish development for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion that would have been a great lauch title. I will wait for this to come out before I get the 360.

Collapse -
Just one quick note....
by rtemp / November 29, 2005 8:24 AM PST

Although Gamecube may have not had much at launch, a scant 2 or 3 weeks later the console was blessed with Super Smash Bros. Melee, easily one of the best games in recent years.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?