Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

No keyboard on the iPhone?

by LoganT / January 9, 2007 5:07 PM PST

I think they should put in a Suretype/Qwerty keyboard. I know they said that it doesn't work because buttons change. However, I think they should put a Suretype/Qwerty keyboard on there, and that's it. No five-way, or scroll wheel. Use the screen to navigate around. Because I don't think the qwerty keyboard is going to be changing anytime soon. Also, instead of embedding 4 or 8 gigabytes of flash memory, which jacks up the cost, put an SDHC slot in it. That way if people primarily want to use it as a phone and not be charged a hefty price for features they may or may not use, they don't have to be. And if people do want to use it as iPod, they can buy a 4GB SDHC card for $80 or an 8 GB SDHC card for $150. Apple could even make their own SDHC cards.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
eh?
by rtemp / January 9, 2007 5:49 PM PST

You don't think that the on-screen keyboard will work very well? I think that if Apple's been working on this thing for 2 years, they're gonna have things pretty squared away on physical usability. If you want a physical keyboard, you will have to either sacrifice screen area or the size of the phone itself, as there just isn't any room as it stands.

-Ryan

Collapse -
Okay...
by LoganT / January 9, 2007 6:17 PM PST
In reply to: eh?

Well it took Steve Jobs a pretty long time to type that really short message. And no, the keyboard could be tucked away in the back, which would enable to still have the same screen size, but be able to slide out a keyboard from the back when you need it.

Collapse -
About Steve
by rtemp / January 9, 2007 6:26 PM PST
In reply to: Okay...

Steve isn't necessarily the most proficient technology person out there. I haven't watched this keynote (yet), but I have watched many past ones where Steve was stammering around trying to do fairly simple things.

-Ryan

Collapse -
Virtual keyboard.
by LoganT / January 9, 2007 6:45 PM PST
In reply to: About Steve
Collapse -
Missing some info...
by Ljot / January 9, 2007 7:03 PM PST

I have to look in order to use a touch keyboard. This is a serious drawback if you compare the device with other PDAs. This gives that the iPhone can not replace my PalmPilot, on which I can write using hadwriting recognition without looking, and thus use it during meetings.

And I miss some info about the iPhone:
-Does it have a vibrator for silent ring?
-How cumbersome (# of button presses) is it to place it in silent mode?
-Does the camera have autofocus? (Otherwise it is only a basic back-up camera.)
-Can I place my own movies (downloaded or ripped from DVD) on the device, or is it restricted to programs bought from iTunes store?
-No wired headset?
-Replaceable battery? (Phones go through charging cycles faster than iPods)

I think I will wait for the 80 GB video iPod using the same screen and interface tech. That one I will buy. 8GB will not even cover my CDs...

Collapse -
b/c they've been working on the phone for 2yrs means NOTHING
by robstak / January 11, 2007 4:51 AM PST

That's bad logic...

I'm sure there are tons of exampled of that too.

We'll just wait till we get our hands on one to make those kind of calls.

I have a PDA phone and touch screen typing SUCKS. the keyboard is much nicer. and actually... the keyboard doesnt take away from the screen cuz its a slider.............. Silly

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!