Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No Keyboard, no mouse, update

Removed floppy drive and it rattled. Removed three LEGOs from floppy drive. Replaced drive and inserted WIN98 Boot Disk. Booted to DOS screen and was asked for "Format, etc" choice, but unfortunately keyboard still does not work so I could go no further. No signs of plug damage and I tried three different keyboards with no luck. Keyboard power light does not come on so it is getting no juice. Mouse also does not work. Never had this before so I am stumped. Help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Keyboard, no mouse, update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Keyboard, no mouse, update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: No Keyboard, no mouse, update

In reply to: No Keyboard, no mouse, update

Well, I've heard of kids/toddlers jamming sammiches into cdrom drives, but this is a first with Legos in a floppy drive LOL.

If you can boot up without the floppy disk in the drive, see if your keyboard will show up just long enough to get into the bios/setup (press DEL or F1 or F2 or whatever it says on the black and white screen as it's booting up. If you can get into the bios, use the arrow keys, enter key, ESC key, and the page/up down or plus/minus keys to move around in there with and make sure it isn't set to HALT ON ALL ERRORS. Reset it/change it to NO HALT and save and exit and see how far you can get in the boot without the floppy disk in the drive.

You should get a 'no keyboard' error if there really is no keyboard being detected.

Let us know.

TONI

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: No Keyboard, no mouse, update

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I cannot get into BIOS or Safe Mode. There is no reaction to the keyboard or mouse, nor is there a "no mouse" or "no keyboard detected" message. I'm beginning to thing the MOBO is the problem, but never had one where both mouse and keyboard seem to be disconnected from the system. Mouse and keyboard connectors are integral to the MOBO, but don't know what can knock both of them out.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: No Keyboard, no mouse, update

We're making progress. Gave up on keyboard/mouse problem and installed a USB plug to which I attached a wireless keyboard. This, along with the boot disk, got me in so that I could reformat the drive and reinstall WIN98. The problem is that the mouse still will not work. My guess is the keyboard also will not work when I reinstall it. I have removed all PCI cards as suggested, but no luck.

Collapse -

The keyboard and mouse are "legacy" options that typically reside on an ISA bus that hangs off of the PCI bus through a PCI to ISA Bridge chip. Note that anything on the PCI bus that hoses that bus over prevents keyboard and mouse operations too. It's just possible that a bad PCI option card is hosing the PCI bus. Try removing all PCI option cards as a troubleshooting step, and see if that brings them back.

Collapse -

Just something a little basic.

On this machine the keyboard plug and the mouse plug appear to be the same, except for color.

I suppose I could plug them in the wrong jack.

This keyboard has three lights
num lock
caps lock
scroll lock
At some point during POST the lights flash.

After POST I can use the num lock, caps lock, scroll lock "keys" to turn these lights off and on.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.