Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No keyboard, no mouse, no access

We have a day care center with a number of computers for the children to use. Because they like to play around I can never be sure what kind of problems they will create and I find myself frequently reloading WIN98 rather than trying to reverse what they may have done. One computer loads the original WIN98 OS but I am getting no power to the keyboard and the mouse does not work. I swapped both out with known working components, but no luck. On boot the system checks the floppy drive, but does not check the CD drive (and since my WIN98 copy is on a CD I cannot boot from the CD). About 10 seconds after loading to the desktop it defaults to a third party screen saver (not loaded by me) which scrolls "HELLOOOOOOOOOOO" across the screen. Since I have no keyboard or mouse I cannot do anything
...cannot get into "setup" or into "safe mode". Any suggestions, besides a boat anchor?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No keyboard, no mouse, no access
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No keyboard, no mouse, no access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does the keyboard work during boot [in DOS] before

In reply to: No keyboard, no mouse, no access

the Operating System starts to install? One way to find out is to hit the key9s0 that it takes to get into the BIOS.

Collapse -
Re: No keyboard, no mouse, no access

In reply to: No keyboard, no mouse, no access

If you or the kids didn't create that screensaver, I would suggest that you check it immediately for viruses...........

BUT you would have to either get access with it to the internet by networking it to a system already on the net since you have no mouse or keyboard to get there with,

OR you would have to use a bootdisk on a floppy disk to check it for viruses. Did you make one for that computer ahead of time via your virus program?

TONI

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: No keyboard, no mouse, no access

This computer is never connected to the net and is not to have third party programs installed. However, even Los Alamos has security problems. Can I make a boot disk from another WIN98 system that has an anti-virus program and use it?

Collapse -

Most anti-virus programs will let you make an emergency diskette to use on a stubborn system. Be sure to make it read-only.

A few other remarks:
- You might find a program like DriveImage or Ghost useful. You can use it to write a fully installed system and working system to CD and restore it as needed. It's much faster (and more reliable) than reinstalling Windows 98 from scratch.
- Why not simply use a boot diskette (read-only also, of course) to delete and remake the partition on the hard drive before installing. That way, only a virus in the master boot record will survive (and fdisk /mbr will take care of that).
- I get the impression this could very well be some hardware problem. You'll see it fast enough if you get the system booting from a boot diskette, run fdisk and format, and start installing Windows.

Kees

Collapse -

You were right about at least one mechanical problem. I found an old MS boot disk for WIN98 but could not insert it into the floppy drive. Something is preventing entry. I will replace drive tomorrow and then use the boot disk as you suggested. Thanks.

Collapse -
I would think then

that the bios is automatically set to HALT ON ALL ERRORS, and since it looks for a floppy drive immediately, that could be the problem you have in that it is stopping everything in its tracks. I would either remove the battery for a few minutes and put it back in so that the BIOS resets itself (normally it will reset to HALT ON ALL ERRORS EXCEPT KEYBOARD so that you have access at least to the bios) or move the jumper on the CMOS pins on the motherboard (they are clearly marked) to the OFF position for a few minutes, then move it back to the ON position and try booting back up.

TONI

Collapse -
How will you ype he commands in?????

With no keyboard???

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ype he =type the LOL And I had a keyboard.

In reply to: How will you ype he commands in?????

Collapse -
Re: How will you ype he commands in?????

In reply to: How will you ype he commands in?????

Ray,

If the keyboard doesn't work after booting from a boot diskette, it's surely a hardware problem. I'm afraid they have a bunch of mixed old hardware there nobody else wants anymore and I wouldn't be amazed if sometimes some of it fails. The system manager at such a place must be very good in replacing motherboards, power supplies, graphic cards and other components, to make one working machine out of two broken ones. And with most changes, you need to make a new image of the disk. It's no fun being responsible for the systems there, if my view of the situation is correct.

Kees

Collapse -
Yes Kees, you are probbly correct.

In reply to: Re: How will you ype he commands in?????

Got any relatives that own a Boat Dealership on Lake Wallenpaupck Pennsylvnia USA???

Collapse -
Relatives.

In reply to: Yes Kees, you are probbly correct.

Ray,

I don't get the reason behind the question, but the answer definitely is no.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.