Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

no keyboard at welcome screen xp pro

by jupiter944 / September 30, 2005 10:10 AM PDT

I installed spy sweeper on an xp pro machine to remove some adware. After the removal was complete it asked to reboot my system. After the reboot i clicked on the user to login and when I hit any key (to enter password) but the keyboard not responding
I tried safe mode reboot but same thing. It was
impossible to login.
i'm sure its not hardware problem coz i tried another keyboard ( both ps/2 )

Can anyone offer any help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no keyboard at welcome screen xp pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no keyboard at welcome screen xp pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Remove the AC cord, count to 10,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 10:12 AM PDT

Try again. Can you get to the BIOS screen? Does the keyboard work there?

Collapse -
keyboard work at boot
by jupiter944 / September 30, 2005 10:18 AM PDT

yes the keyboar is work find at boot and i can type F8 and choose safe mode and everything but when xp starts and welcome screen appear the keyboard not work
i tried the " last good cofiguration .... " at the boot menue but the same prublem still

Collapse -
System
by mopscare42 / September 30, 2005 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: keyboard work at boot

Do a system restore in the safe mode to a day when the computer was working OK

Collapse -
Do tell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 10:57 PM PDT
In reply to: keyboard work at boot

Any Logitech drivers? There's a notorious driver from Logitech that does this. But you have not noted that. Details matter. Also, the fix keeps moving on Logitech's web site so I never look for it unless you indicate you installed Logitech's keyboard enhancer.

Best of luck in recovery.

Bob

Collapse -
no logitech
by jupiter944 / October 1, 2005 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Do tell.

i dont have any logitech drivers my keyboard is microsoft keyboard, and i cant login to safe mode too coz it asks me to input password too and i cant loging the guest account coz i cant type anything with keyboard

Collapse -
Possibility...
by John.Wilkinson / October 1, 2005 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: no logitech

I'm going out on a limb here, but perhaps it's a problem with the Windows XP Logon Utility and not the keyboard. When you get to the logon screen, try pressing ctrl+alt+delete a couple of times and see if it presents you with the alternative logon box. If so, hopefully it will let you type in your username and password so you can login and have a little room to work.

Also, do you have a set of system recovery CDs/DVDs or a Windows XP Pro. CD? If you have the actual XP CD, performing a repair installation is another possibility to correct whatever is preventing your login.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
still no respond
by jupiter944 / October 1, 2005 6:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Possibility...

i tried ctrl alt del hundreds times but nothing happend it lokks like no keyboard,

Collapse -
"Any" extra keyboard drivers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2005 4:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
what i shall do?
by jupiter944 / October 1, 2005 6:37 PM PDT

please tell me what u want to know about my system and i'll tell u the details

Collapse -
Same question. Are there "any" extra keyboard drivers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2005 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: what i shall do?

I offered the logitech issue as an example in hopes you would write yes or "no, but I installed _____." As to other details, what version of XP you have matters. We could do a PARALLEL INSTALL of the OS to get at the files and settings and move to the new os with little loss.

Bob

Collapse -
xp pro
by jupiter944 / October 2, 2005 2:19 AM PDT

i dont have any other keyboard drivers,
I have xp pro
what u mean PARALLEL INSTALL? if u mean another win on the same machine , I have one, i have another WORKING xp pro on the same machine

Collapse -
Migrate to the working XP Pro install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2005 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: xp pro

That's your parallel install so migrate to that, then remove the failed OS.

Here's an article about Windows and PARALLEL INSTALLS. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941 The parallel install is a key skill to repairing a broken Windows or to migrate off a failed Windows that can't be repaired with what we know.

Bob

Collapse -
ty
by bean89 / September 12, 2006 1:46 PM PDT

hello jupiter for future references i just had the exact same problem as you...the problem is spysweeper has a key logger filter that if you disable will do that to your keyboard...follow the guys instruction and type listsvc when you logg into your recovery console and find the sskbfd sevice that is the keyboard filter and type "enable sskbfd service_demand_start" with no quotes worked like a charm for me and ty for this post..

Collapse -
If all else fails.....
by peterj / October 1, 2005 6:12 AM PDT

Remove Spysweeper and reboot

Collapse -
how?
by jupiter944 / October 1, 2005 6:32 PM PDT
In reply to: If all else fails.....

how i can remove spy sweeper without login to windows?

Collapse -
Sorry if this seems "advanced".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2005 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: how?

There is a service we need to stop via the RECOVERY CONSOLE called svcWRSSSDK. We can do this with the RECOVERY CONSOLE.

Here's the article on how to boot and use the RECOVERY CONSOLE.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_bjap.asp writes:

"To enable or disable services by using Recovery Console

1. At the Recovery Console prompt, type listsvc.

The computer displays the service or driver name, startup type, and possibly a friendly driver or service name. Record the name of the driver or service that you want to enable or disable.
2. To disable a driver, type:

disable drivername
3. To enable a driver, type:

enable drivername start_type

Possible values for start_type are:
* SERVICE_BOOT_START
* SERVICE_SYSTEM_START
* SERVICE_AUTO_START
* SERVICE_DEMAND_START

For more information about Stop messages, see "Common Stop Messages for Troubleshooting" in this book."

I would try SERVICE_DEMAND_START.

It is also a good idea to run the COMMAND line SAFE MODE to see if the keyboard works there because there are friendlier tools that I can use there.

Bob

Collapse -
hi
by jupiter944 / October 2, 2005 7:06 PM PDT

its ok about (advanced)
i tried that but the probleb still, any other idias? please
safe mode dosent work too

Collapse -
The recovery console, parallel install and command line.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2005 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: hi

You made it to the recovery console, but I'm unsure what you did. Also, what drivers and services you found you can disable.

Also, there is no less than 2 SAFE MODEs. One is the command line. I've yet to read you mention that.

-> Sorry but without details I can't make another comment.

How did the parallel install work for you?

Bob

Collapse -
Ooops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2005 11:48 PM PDT

I just made a mistake. You have a working parallel install. It's time to migrate to the working install.

With today's malware, OS repair is far from certain. Even moreso when the gritty details are not shared. And there is no "do this cure."

Bob

Collapse -
maybe
by jupiter944 / October 1, 2005 6:46 PM PDT

i think my problem is the spu sweeper program puts somthing in the registery or anywhare else to run at startup and continue its work after rebooting but for some reasons it couldent work , i'm wondering if i can check the startup items in the registry from outside windows ( recovery console or anything else ) , or if there any way i can put my user name and password in a command line and let it automaticly login??? ( i have another win xp in a second hard disk in the same computer and it works fine with the same keyboard can it be useful?)

Collapse -
I had the SAME problem
by JazzyJas / October 5, 2005 3:12 PM PDT

I got a new keyboard and couldn't for the life of me get it to work. I called customer support and they had no solution. I finally figured it out myself after they keyboard was working on my boyfriend's computer.

Here's what you do. Get a USB keyboard or some manner of keyboard that actually works. USB is probably the way to go here. You have to change your XP logon settings to get rid of the Welcome Screen. For some reason when you do this, everything works without a hitch. I don't exactly understand why, but I remembered having problems with the Welcome Screen before.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
PS/2 Converter
by phantazy / September 12, 2006 7:45 PM PDT
In reply to: I had the SAME problem

Try a PS/2 to USB converter and attach keyboard, then change settings.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?