Speakeasy forum

General discussion

No joke: Al Gore to get 'Webby' for Internet contributions.

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / May 5, 2005 1:17 AM PDT
Gore to Get Lifetime Acievement Award for Internet.

>> Al Gore may have been lampooned for taking credit in the Internet's development, but organizers of the Webby Awards for online achievements don't find it funny at all.

In part to "set the record straight," they will give Gore a lifetime achievement award for three decades of contributions to the Internet, said Tiffany Shlain, the awards' founder and chairwoman.

"It's just one of those instances someone did amazing work for three decades as congressman, senator and vice president and it got spun around into this political mess," Shlain said.

Vint Cerf, undisputedly one of the Internet's key inventors, will give Gore the award at a June 6 ceremony in New York.

"He is indeed due some thanks and consideration for his early contributions," Cerf said. <<

Another conservative myth debunked...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No joke: Al Gore to get 'Webby' for Internet contributions.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No joke: Al Gore to get 'Webby' for Internet contributions.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Of course it's not a joke.
by Dan McC / May 5, 2005 1:22 AM PDT

Only the aggressively ignorant are unaware of Gore's contributions to the development of the Internet.

Dan

Collapse -
They're aware
by Josh K / May 5, 2005 1:48 AM PDT

They just continue to attack him on it anyway; suits their interests better.

Collapse -
(NT) You're right, of course. *sigh*
by Dan McC / May 5, 2005 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: They're aware
Collapse -
Is a contribution anything like
by Jerry562 / May 5, 2005 3:22 AM PDT

I invented it?

Collapse -
See what I mean, Dan?
by Josh K / May 5, 2005 3:27 AM PDT

There shouldn't be any confusion about this since he never said "I invented it."

For the zillionth time.

Collapse -
I love it when
by Dan McC / May 5, 2005 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: See what I mean, Dan?

they prove your point with such prompt efficiency. It gives one hope. Don't you think?

Dan

Collapse -
You are absolutely right re: DK's article he said 'created'
by Kiddpeat / May 5, 2005 4:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
His EXACT words were...
by Edward ODaniel / May 5, 2005 4:54 AM PDT
During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives ...
http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,18390,00.html

That can indeed be read as a claim for being the single party responsible for the creation of the Internet. Why can it be read that way? Because that is one valid interpretation of the words Gore used whuch were rather self-serving. The entire CONTEXT of the interview in which he made the statement even tends to support an interpretation of his claiming credit for the Internet's existence.
http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/03/09/president.2000/transcript.gore/

In fact, his "initiatives" dealt far less with creation than with "spreading" it. One such was his support of E-Rate funding (that tax on telecommunications passed on to phone company subscribers to fund Internet to schools. A typical example of the Democrat's "compassion" that forces others to spend their own monies for pet programs of the Democrat.

Gore never played ANY role in any of the decisions that actually lead to the creation of the Internet. What he did do happened mostly in the 90s (since 1993) when he became the Clinton Admin's contact man for technology (which mostly meant making announcements about new initiatives such as Internet II which he announced but was not a participant in developement).

His most valuable contributions were STRICTLY in voting for tax increases to fund things others came up with and usually well after the fact.

Matter of fact even his claim for coining the phrase "information superhighway" fails to acknowledge that the term "data highway" had been in use when describing the internet at least as far back as 1975 which was BEFORE Gore even entered Congress.
Collapse -
The subscribers....

.....my area is certainly aware and appreciative of his efforts, which started when he was a reporter on the Tennessean.

As cable became popular here, he encouraged going digital, which it did, making it ready for broadband,
before many other cities.

I am glad to see him get the award.

Angeline

Collapse -
Nice little item Dave

Until the last line. Why you can't post something without the knife-twisting at the end is beyond me.

Congrats to Mr. Gore.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Ahhh, because it's about
by Jerry562 / May 5, 2005 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Nice little item Dave

anti-Republican?

Collapse -
Congratulations to Al Gore
by EdH / May 5, 2005 2:20 AM PDT

But before you go overboard, let's acknowledge that no one ever seriously thought that he claimed to have invented the internet. It's his penchant for inflating himself and blurring the truth that earned him criticism.

This from Snopes:

It's true that Gore was popularizing the term "information superhighway" in the early 1990s (when few people outside academia or the computer/defense industries had heard of the Internet) and has introduced a few bills dealing with education and the Internet, but even though Congressman, Senator, and Vice-President Gore may always have been interested in and well-informed about information technology issues, that's a far cry from having taken an active, vital leadership role in bringing about those technologies. Even if Al Gore had never entered the political arena, we'd probably still be reading web pages via the Internet today.

Collapse -
Information superhighway...
by Edward ODaniel / May 5, 2005 5:18 AM PDT

credited to Algore but what is not mentioned is that he "borrowed" the term in use since at least 1975 - "data highway" - and simply added some "pizazz" to the descriptive phrase already in use at the time. It should be noted that Gore didn't actually say in so many words that he himself "coined the term" but by the same token he NEVER bothered to correct anyone who claimed he did.

Perhaps (and Josh should take note here) he "couldn't remember what it was called".

Collapse -
Get funding after the fact is not creating. Spin will not
by Kiddpeat / May 5, 2005 2:52 AM PDT

change that reality.

'Gore, who boasted in a CNN interview he "took the initiative in creating the Internet," was only 21 when the Internet was born out of a Pentagon project.'

From your Yahoo article.

Collapse -
Al Gore wasn't a bad fellow probably
by Roger NC / May 5, 2005 2:59 AM PDT

but I couldn't see him as a leader.

Perhaps a perfect 2nd in command, but not in command type?

Anyway, his hyperbole in election campaign backfired and became an albatross. That happens when you risk outrageous statements in campaigns, and it ended up hurting his image.

JMO

Roger

Collapse -
I went to the Webby awards web page
by kmarchal / May 5, 2005 4:38 AM PDT

Search for this guy Leonard Kleinrock. Did not find anything on him? How odd?

http://www.lk.cs.ucla.edu/LK/Inet/birth.html
But the commercial world was not ready for data networks and his work lay dormant for most of the 1960's as he continued to publish his results on networking technology while at the same time rising rapidly through the professorial ranks at UCLA where he had joined the faculty in 1963. In the mid-1960's, the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) - which was created in 1958 as the United States' response to Sputnik - became interested in networks. ARPA had been supporting a number of computer scientists around the country and, as new researchers were brought in, they naturally asked ARPA to provide a computer on which they could do their research; however, ARPA reasoned that this community of scientists would be able to share a smaller number of computers if these computers were connected together by means of a data network. Because of his unique expertise in data networking, they called him to Washington to play a key role in preparing a functional specification for the ARPANET - a government-supported data network that would use the technology which by then had come to be known as "packet switching".

Collapse -
talking to myself - no myth - not AlGore
by kmarchal / May 5, 2005 4:54 AM PDT

Dr. Leonard Kleinrock created the basic principles of packet switching, the technology underpinning the Internet, while a graduate student at MIT. This was a decade before the birth of the Internet which occurred when his host computer at UCLA became the first node of the Internet in September 1969. He wrote the first paper and published the first book on the subject; he also directed the transmission of the first message to pass over the Internet.

You would think if Al was the inventor they would have invited him to the 2004/08/16: October 29th: Save the date for the 35th Anniversary of the Internet!

Collapse -
talking to myself again found Al Gore
by kmarchal / May 5, 2005 5:11 AM PDT

1988 Albert Gore, then a Tennessee senator, proposes the National Research and Education Network, which would provide top computing facilities to research communities and schools.

Collapse -
He did make the claim...

and his words showed that he was trying to claim credit for far more than he actually did contribute.

MOST of his "contributions" were supporting votes and votes to increase taxation to spread it around--E-Rate funding was one such.

Want to know what Cerf and Kahn actually acknowledge as his contributions? Read the following link and y'all should note that it doesn't support his claims in the Blitzer interview.
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01394.html

Here is another link that might calm you down
The Mother of Gore's Invention
started faxing around tongue-in-cheek press releases -- inveterate neatnik Trent Lott claimed to have invented the paper clip -- and other journalists picked up the story too.

He does deserve some acknowledgement and credit for what he did but he fully deserved what he got for claiming more importance than he was responsible for and for failing to give actual credit where it was due.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.