Vista Home premium 32 bit

Vista SP 2

IE7

Java 6 update 23 (which I just installed0

My Work PC

XP Professional

XP SP 3

IE8

Java 5 Update 11 (work uses the older java version)

Ok onmy work PC, when I open IE8, under

Tools> Internet Options> Advanced>Settings>

There is a Java(Sun) item with a check box below that says use JRE 1.5.0_11 for <applet>

But on my Home PC, when I open IE7, under

There isNOJava(Sun) item with a check box below that says use JRE

Is there a difference because the operating systems (XP vs Vista)?

is the difference the version of Java?

On my home PC, there is no Java(Sun) item (in Tools> Internet Options> Advanced>Settings>

Should there be a Java item there?

I just installed the java 6 update 23 the last day or so, would that make a difference?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Java shown in IE avanced settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Java shown in IE avanced settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) anyone else with Vista run into this?

In reply to: No Java shown in IE avanced settings

Collapse -
It's The Differences In Operating Systems.. Normal

First, I'll recommend that you update the Java version installed on your work computer.. The Java 6 Update 23 fixes a number of vulnerablities that exist in the older versions.. (See the instructions below.) And as to there being no "Use Java...." in the "Internet Options/Advanced" tab on Vista or Windows 7, there is a reason.. Originally, when XP was first released, the was a default version of "Microsoft Java Virtual Machine" installed on each computer.. That changed when the various service packs were released, for a number of reasons, but it explains why the CHECK box still resides in the "Advanced" tab on Windows XP.

In addition, the newer versions of Java update by automatically unistalling most of the older versions.. After an update, an old version should NOT reside on the computer because it continues to leave possible security vulnerabilities. So, if you've got admin access to your work computer, please follow the steps below to install the new and uninstall the old versions of Java:

Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then scroll down to the ''Java Platform Standard Edition JDK 6 Update 23 (JDK or JRE)'' section, then click on the "Download JRE" button. Follow the prompts, select the Windows platform and the "Language", if necessary, accept the license agreement, click the "Continue" button, then download the full ''Windows OFFLINE Installation'' file to your desktop,(about 15 MB), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean). Once that's done, if you've already got a Sun Java version on the computer, open the Control Panel, double click on the ''Add/Remove Programs'' section, then uninstall all previous versions of the J2SE Java listed there. Once that's done, then install Java JRE 6u23 from the downloaded installer.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Griff, I have Java 6 Update 23 on my home PC

In reply to: It's The Differences In Operating Systems.. Normal

But there is NO SUN Java entry when I open my Browser
and and go to

now in the java control panel under default browser settings, the internet explorer box IS checked, though appears grayed out

so not sure how to get the java entry back in the browser(Tools> Internet Options> Advanced>Settings>)

when I go to the java website to see if I have java installed, it shows yes

yet nothing showing in browser

any other Vista users see this same thing?

Collapse -
Apparently, You Didn't Understand...

In reply to: Griff, I have Java 6 Update 23 on my home PC

There IS NO listing for Java in the Tools> Internet Options> Advanced>Settings> tab on your home Vista computer and that is perfectly normal.. It's not designed to be listed there on Vista and YES, by default, it is grayed out in your Java control panel.. As long as it works, then it's "as designed".. All Vista and Windows 7 users will see what you are seeing..

There is nothing wrong with your current setup and the listing no longer should exist in Tools> Internet Options> Advanced>Settings>.

On the XP computer however, as I mentioned earlier, the "Tools> Internet Options> Advanced>Settings>" listing will remain.. Still, you should update the version to the latest and remove the old ones.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
sorry, misread your previous post

In reply to: Apparently, You Didn't Understand...

Thanks for the feeback. It relives me for sure.
I do have Java 6 Update 23 on my home PC which is the latest as far as I know
My work PC I have no control over what they install

One other question, I download Java from here
http://www.java.com/en/download/inc/windows_new_ie.jsp

so I don't get to select 32 bit or 64 bit
does the site automatically give me the correct one?

Collapse -
The Java Installer Download...

In reply to: sorry, misread your previous post

...should install correctly independent of which platform you're running.. Please note that the version of Internet Explorer, or other 64 bit browser you are using will dictate which version of Java you want to install. Sun states: "Please note that the 64-bit Java is presented as a download option automatically for 64-bit Internet Explorer users, as it is the only officially available 64-bit browser for Windows."

See this link below for information about your topic.:

Which version of Java should I download for my 64-bit Windows operating system?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Sorry Grif.

In reply to: The Java Installer Download...

RibbyP has other open discussions were it appears %AppData% is out of whack. But they have not been able to share what it is set to. I supplied an article with all the details I need to look into the issue but it seems that it's a bit too advance and they need some hands on or remote support as Fix-It tools have been ineffective.

If I recall they may have used registry and other cleaners.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob, I Forgot About The 1606 Error Discussion

In reply to: Sorry Grif.

If that's been fixed, then Java should install. If it hasn't, then the previous discussion for the correct registry fixes for such have been posted previously in the link below:

http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6122_102-5047596.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
No I was able to fix that %AppData% issue

In reply to: Thanks Bob, I Forgot About The 1606 Error Discussion

I used a microsoft fix it and was able to install Java 6 Update 23

as far as downloading the correct java (32 vs 64 bit)

are you saying that when going to the java download page
http://www.java.com/en/download/inc/windows_new_ie.jsp
where the option is to hit the button "Agree and start free download"
that the version of explorer is checked by the java and will give me the correct one??

How can I verify that I have java for 32 bit, i mean is there something noted somewhere in the java folder on my computer?

Collapse -
If It Tests Correctly, Then It's OK..

In reply to: No I was able to fix that %AppData% issue

At this point, I don't think there's anything to worry about especially since the default Internet Explorer versions are 32 bit. To verify you have the right version, run the test below. It indicates the architecture of the browser being used:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

But I've already described the best way to download the appropriate x86 or x64 version of Java.. It does not include the website you've listed but offers a different Sun site. Here's that site again.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

As before, Click on the link to Sun's Java above, then scroll down to the ''Java Platform Standard Edition JDK 6 Update 23 (JDK or JRE)'' section, then click on the "Download JRE" button. Follow the prompts, select the correct Windows platform (I'll add that both Windows x86 and x64 are options and you may want to download them both if you have both x86 and x64 browsers) and the "Language", if necessary, accept the license agreement, click the "Continue" button, then download the full ''Windows OFFLINE Installation'' file to your desktop,(about 15 MB), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean). Once that's done, if you've already got a Sun Java version on the computer, open the Control Panel, double click on the ''Add/Remove Programs'' section, then uninstall all previous versions of the J2SE Java listed there. Once that's done, then install Java JRE 6u23 from the downloaded installer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
what is wrong ....

In reply to: If It Tests Correctly, Then It's OK..

using the normal download page for java?

Collapse -
Just news to catch up on.

In reply to: what is wrong ....

SUN Computers changed their stock symbol to JAVA years ago due to their promotion of that language.

Oracle bought SUN so you'll see JAVA available from many links with SUN, JAVA and ORACLE in the URL.

-> Now what would be a normal download page for JAVA may have any of those names in them.
Bob

Collapse -
I should say

In reply to: Just news to catch up on.

Collapse -
RibbyP, Your Question Has Already Been Asked & Answered

In reply to: Just news to catch up on.

Yes..

Collapse -
Nothing...

In reply to: what is wrong ....

Either one will work but the site I suggested is perfectly "normal" and it provides the information you asked for. The link I provided is the site we use here for a few thousand computers... It's up to you where to proceed from here.

And yes, as Bob stated, the "over-seer" for Java is now Oracle.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Nothing...

A have a few more questions about java and some aspects of my computer. Should I post them here? Or start another thread?

Collapse -
a few more questions

A have a few more questions about java and some aspects of my computer. Should I post them here? Or start another thread?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.