Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

No Internet with Wireless

by sjr0328 / September 2, 2004 12:29 AM PDT

I have read several threads and some sound a lot like the problem that I am having. But I have tried all of that and nothing works. I recently just bought a Compaq Presario R3000 which has a WAN built in. I have a WRT54GS Lynksis Router with Speedbooster and a Dell Inspiron Desktop hooked up to cable (Optimum Online) service.

One day, out of nowhere, my laptop connection to the internet just shut off by itself. I have literally tried everything. I have unplugged router, modem, and vice-a-versa, have gone and tried changing IP addresses, enabled DHCP, gone into the command prompt to see what is really going on, have gone into the registry, gone into the LAN IP Protocol. I have been on the phone with a friend who has an MA in Information Technology. And stil nothing..........I have gone into the Lynksis site and refreshed and renewed the settings.

I have also gone on to several, I mean several, thread forums and tried to see if other people have had similar problems. Could someone please help. It seems that I can send out packets but I am not able to receive them. So, in other words, the laptop is picking up the router connection at about 54 bps but still no internet connection. Within the command prompt, it does say that the media is disconnected, but I dont know how to turn it on. Someone help.!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Internet with Wireless
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Internet with Wireless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: No Internet with Wireless
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2004 12:40 AM PDT

When I face this, I carry a new router and client card with me. I do try updating the firmware in the devices, but what most can't do is swap out the hardware to find out what part it is.

Another issue is that some will accept a driver update from Microsoft. We get to remove that.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Can't get an IP Address
by ken austin / March 31, 2005 9:00 PM PST

I recently obtained a cable modem.

My presario 2100 and X1000 both recognize my wireless network.

Neither will get to the internet (email or browser).

The LAN (cabled) portion of my BEFW11S4 Linksis Router works.

I've tried resetting the router and redefining the network.

I have no additional hardware to easter egg with.

Please help.

Collapse -
Can't get an IP address
by harpersr10 / April 28, 2005 1:07 AM PDT

Ken-Sounds like I'm having the same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.