Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No Internet, Why?

I had a problem similar to this one on my desktop and my uncles. My Internet was working fine (DSL) but a propram to download music (Lime Wire) couldn't get Internet access because of the firewall in my PC so I whent to the firewall settings to allow Lime Wire Internet access again, it was working fine before as it does konw.
My uncle had the same problem with this Lime Wire program and I fixed it, he had Internet (DSL)for a while He lived in a different house when this happened and I think he had the same problem that he could't go on the Internet after.
Then he move to his new house and he has the same ISP (Verison) but with a different DSL modem and he still can't use the WWW. A friend brought his laptop to my uncles and the Internet works good. I connected the PC and laptop the same way with the RJ 45 cable.

Do you think the firewall is preventin the PC to use the WWW? the firewall is ''on''

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Internet, Why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Internet, Why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
P2P risks

In reply to: No Internet, Why?

Limewire and other P2P programs are notorious for installing spyware/malware or facilitating such. That is why I don't use them.

In SAFE MODE with system restore disabled:
* Scan for spyware with more than one antispyware program (use latest definition file).
* Scan for viruses (use latest definition file).
* Run WinsockXPFix.exe if you can't connect after disinfecting the computer.

All else fails, wipe HD and reinstall everything. Now, do you really want to use Limewire after all that?

Collapse -
It all becomes clearer now.

In reply to: P2P risks

As Linkit says, P2P like Limewire, Kazaa, Morpheous, etc, are PC killers.

As you and your Uncle, (apparently), have been using Limewire to download music, I would assume these are illegal downloads of copyrighted material.

In a word, Piracy.

Forum Policy forbids discussion of illegal activities and so all I can suggest now is to remove such P2P programs, and the tracks you and your Uncle have downloaded, and clean your machines.

Further discussion is stopped and this thread is locked.

Sorry.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.