Computer Help forum

General discussion

no internet after bios flash

by Dave Q / April 8, 2006 12:23 AM PDT

I flashed my bios on my MSI K8N neo 2 platinum (7025 ms) mb, because supposedly there was a fix for usb 2.0. The fix didn't work and now I lost my internet connection. I can see the 1.b bios version on the post, which is the bios I wanted. To make a long story short when i try to get on the internet a message says "(insert name of website here) could not be found. please check the name and try again."

I flashed from a floppy. I flashed to the 1.9 bios. (I never did try to reinstall the uber old 1.3 bios that was working before.) I tried loading and uninstalling and reinstalling the latest mb drivers. I tried system restore.

The status in the properties of network connections says it's all connected. THe mb has the Nforce 3 ultra chipset. I use a belkin router. (Maybe the problem is related to the router??)

I saw a messaage once that windows has recovered from a serious error. I don't remember what the serious error was, becuase I just closed the window. doh! I started getting this message until i did a system restore. "RTL 8169 Protocol Driver error #1060" I searched the internet and found some driver related to that and installed it, but that didn't work.

Any ideas. I'm about ready to huck this thing out the window.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no internet after bios flash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no internet after bios flash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like
by Darton Fury / April 8, 2006 11:44 AM PDT

a possible router issue. Check the routers configuration page. Is it configured to automatically assign DNS address? If you have an always on internet connection, open command prompt and type, ipconfig /release and hit enter. Then type ipconfig /renew and hit enter.

Collapse -
yes, my router is configured to automatically assign DNS....
by Dave Q / April 8, 2006 1:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Sounds like

I did what you recommended and got this message:

"An error occurred while renewing interface local area connedtion 4: unaable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

Thanks for your interest in helping. Happy

Collapse -
Local Area Connection 4?

How many network interface cards are currently installed in this computer? You can type ipconfig /all in command prompt to see IP info for all installed NIC's in your computer. Your dynamic host configuration protocol server that automatically assigns TCP/IP settings for your computer is your router. Because your computer can't communicate with the router, you can't access the internet. The problem is most likely the router. But you should type ping localhost or ping 127.0.0.1 in a command prompt to verify that TCP/IP is ok on the computer. If this returns an error, timed out, dropped packets, the problem is the computer.

Collapse -
I did what you told me to do, and it seems the problem....
by Dave Q / April 9, 2006 12:38 AM PDT

I have one ethernet adapter according to the first command prompt you gave me. The local ping tests seemed to work fine also. I'm using the router as we speak on my laptop to access the internet, so i'm confused as to why it would be the problem. I'll try connection directly to the modem and bypassing the router.

Collapse -
Connection directly to the modem did not solve the problem.
by Dave Q / April 9, 2006 12:52 AM PDT

I connected directly to the modem, ran network setuup wizzard, rebooted,etc...I still have no connection. I ran the command prompts you mentioned with the comp plugged into the modem, and they came back the same as before. positive...but still no connection.

On a related note. Would replacing the mb fix the problem, or is this now it the os?

Collapse -
Narrowing It Down
by Darton Fury / April 9, 2006 3:23 AM PDT

It sounds like you've narrowed it down to the network adapter in that computer. Check device manager for its status. My guess is the drivers.

Collapse -
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the ethernet and other mb..
by Dave Q / April 9, 2006 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Narrowing It Down

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the ethernet drivers, and other mb drivers several times to no avail. THe device manager says my network adapters are working fine.

Collapse -
Dave, Just a Possibility But...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 4:21 AM PDT

...please download the WinsockXPFix from the link below and run it.. It should fix the internet connection software if it was somehow corrupted during th update:

http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
i was so hoping this nifty little program would work...
by Dave Q / April 9, 2006 8:04 AM PDT

But unfortunately it didn't.. Sad

Thanks for trying.

I'm thinking I may have to buy my way out of this one with a new mb, but I just would hate to install it and find the problem is with my os. I don't even know if a mb replacement is possible without reinstalling windows, etc...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.