Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

no internet access (initially Adware.look2me issue)

by RickFaulkner / November 15, 2004 2:35 AM PST

A new discussion as the other one is full. Had initially had Adware.look2me. now cleared but left with no internet (e.g. internet explorer, Windows Media Player Ad-Aware update) or e-mail access although settings are proven OK (By "pinging" OK, Nortons antivirus liveupdate & Adobe reader update still working). Have installed Ad-Aware and Stinger and already had Nortons Internet Security - all showing a clean system.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no internet access (initially Adware.look2me issue)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no internet access (initially Adware.look2me issue)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: no internet access (initially Adware.look2me issue)
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 15, 2004 2:39 AM PST
Collapse -
by RickFaulkner / November 15, 2004 3:06 AM PST

Dear Marianna,
I have also tried the LSP fix - 4 items none removed or renamed or renumbered automatically (unless you recognise a bad one and suggest i should remove manually - see below).
rnr20.dll DNSname space provider
mswsosp.dll (protocol handler)
msafd.dll (protocol handler)
rsvpsp.dll (protocol handler)

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 15, 2004 3:13 AM PST
Collapse -
by RickFaulkner / November 15, 2004 3:18 AM PST

Oh, Sorry - i am running Windows 98SE - no cash for big new computers!!
I should not run WinsockXP fix 1.2 on Windows 98SE?

Collapse -
Go here -......
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 15, 2004 3:36 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Go here -......
by RickFaulkner / November 15, 2004 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: Go here -......

Ran this. Thanks. Still no change though - i then tried to run it in safe mode but it advised me not to due to display issues. Oops - now registry error - run windows setup - Aagh!!!

Collapse -
Error messages ?
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 15, 2004 5:24 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Go here -......

Could you pls. write down the exact error message you are getting?

Collapse -
Re: Error messages ?
by RickFaulkner / November 15, 2004 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: Error messages ?

Dear Marinna,
now 23:30 my time. Cut a long story short, i have only proven dial-up and not broadband, but it looks as if it was Nortons internet security that was stopping the connection. I hate computers! (but really appreciate your assistance!!!). Fingers crossed... (i shall be back to you if i am wrong if you don't mind).
Thanks again,
Rick. Derby. UK.

Collapse -
Rick - o.k. :)
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 15, 2004 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Error messages ?

Good Night Wink

Collapse -
Yipee! now what should i install to protect my computer?
by RickFaulkner / November 15, 2004 6:32 PM PST
In reply to: Rick - o.k. :)

Dear Marianna,
Good morning. My wife has been onto our broadband service provider today and all seems to be OK (Phew! - almost cost me a new computer). Now the million Doller Question what should i install to protect my computer. Is Nortons Internet Security worth putting back on, Spybot, Ad-aware etc and/or others - the more the better? they will fall into 2 catagories:- (1) protect the computer from the internet (2) clean the computer if it becomes infected (sadly my kids use this computer - i think this is the reason i was caught - even with Nortons & spybot already installed!)

Collapse -
Re: Yipee! now what should i install to protect my computer?
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 15, 2004 11:46 PM PST

Hi Rick,

wow ! I am SO HAPPY for you !!

Well, I guess, it's a "must" to have:

AdAware SE
SpybotS&D

a. SpywareBlaster: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
b. SpywareGuard: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

Stinger

keep these updated and run Ad aware + spybotS&D once a week.

Up-to-date Anti Virus

Also here is an excellent source for tips to tighten security. Follow the advice and get the free downloads to help avoid some of these problems in the future.

As to Norton Internet Security - unfortunately I have NO idea as I never had it.

Keep up the good work and Happy Safe Computing Happy

Collapse -
For MS. I've changed to noting WINSOCKFIX
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 3:08 AM PST

It seems to be easier for most.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.